Did I make the right choice? IB HL's

nmeisu

Hi, I am currently a Pre-IB student and course registration have been filled in and done with but it's not too late if I change it.

I was debating whether to take Business HL or Econ HL, or both, but at last minute I decided that I was going to take HL Econ + HL History instead. I was wondering, if I do decide to pursue Business for a BsC, is IB Business a prerequisite? Or is it fine that I took Econ instead? I'm interested in going to the UK or Australia for University and a major in regards to the Social Sciences: Economics, Business, International Relations, or Political Science.

Here are my courses:

HL English

HL History

HL Economics

SL Math

SL Chemistry

SL French

Did I make the right choice for my IB courses?

Hi, I am currently a Pre-IB student and course registration have been filled in and done with but it's not too late if I change it.

I was debating whether to take Business HL or Econ HL, or both, but at last minute I decided that I was going to take HL Econ + HL History instead. I was wondering, if I do decide to pursue Business for a BsC, is IB Business a prerequisite? Or is it fine that I took Econ instead? I'm interested in going to the UK or Australia for University and a major in regards to the Social Sciences: Economics, Business, International Relations, or Political Science.

Here are my courses:

HL English

HL History

HL Economics

SL Math

SL Chemistry

SL French

Here are my courses:

HL English

HL History

HL Economics

SL Math

SL Chemistry

SL French

To answer your question about the requirements for a BSc in Business, I think most universities across the globe only want Math at SL or HL as a compulsary requirement. Business and Management will definitely help you in the future if you opt for a business degree.

Economics is an amazing subject and i suggest you go ahead with it. I opted for Business and Economics only because I love both subjects.

I suggest you convert to Math HL if you're good at it and convert to History SL instead because HL English and HL History are extremely heavy subjects. :)

IB Business is considered as a mickey mouse subject. ok people will argue that it's NOT easy, but still universities look down on it no matter what. it's often not required for an undergrad business course. IB Economics HL is more useful.

I'm often told that universities usually require Maths HL for Business, and sometimes Economics HL too. but if you don't like Maths then you can get away with Maths SL, at good enough universities, but maybe not the top 5 or so :/

I'd say go with Econ HL and Business SL.

• Like 1

BM HL will be better than History HL. History is pretty tough and requires a lot of effort. BM HL will be help you in the future as well. And don't worry about uni's...They don't LOOK DOWN on BM HL...they just don't regard it as highly as Eco HL. (Which is weird cause the US and other countries don't do that).

For the UK, Economics is infinitely preferable to Business Studies which is indeed seen as a soft subject. People traditionally do it as an easier course for A Level and, regardless of how similar the course is at IB (I have no idea if it's harder or not) it's nevertheless tarred with the same brush and lumped in the reject corner with Psychology, Theatre Studies and ESS. Business schools prefer that you've done economics.

As for HL versus SL Maths, you'll be fine with just SL Maths. Many Universities don't even specify Maths as a relevant subject. Even the top ones; I just checked out Warwick's website (they're number 2) and they don't specify any subjects, only a total score and that none of your HLs drop below a 5. To be honest I think your present subject choices are the best in terms of being academically rigourous enough without any 'soft' subjects.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm going to study something related to business and I know that all you need is Math SL(sometimes Math HL is required, but that's very rare). Econ HL is a good choice, it's interesting and is related to your university studies. No university in the world requires Business Studies, as it is unavailable in many school(same reason why most of Economic universities do not require Economics). So, your choice is pretty good.

However, I would suggest changing History HL to Business Studies HL. They're both so in Group 4, so there will be no problem. Universities do not require nor Business studies, nor History and History is definitely more rigorous, but Business studies would be related with your university studies(while History wouldn't) and your overall grade would increase. Also, if you would choose EE from Econ or Buss, it would be better than choosing it from History.

Thank you for all the advice :) I've heard that History HL is more of a pain and it's a lot more rigorous than Business, but I really enjoy History and so I don't think I'll drop it. And in regards to HL Econ or HL Business, is it really true that all UK Uni's think that IB Business is a soft subject and will prefer someone who didn't take it?

IB Business is considered as a mickey mouse subject. ok people will argue that it's NOT easy, but still universities look down on it no matter what. it's often not required for an undergrad business course. IB Economics HL is more useful.

I'm often told that universities usually require Maths HL for Business, and sometimes Economics HL too. but if you don't like Maths then you can get away with Maths SL, at good enough universities, but maybe not the top 5 or so :/

I'd say go with Econ HL and Business SL.

I can't do Business SL because then I'd have to either change my Math to HL and I just don't have the passion for it :S Can I get away with Math SL for UCL or King's? LSE is my dream Uni but I don't think I can get away with taking Math SL if I opt for an Economics BsC.