Chances of getting into MIT?

l0stboy

Background:

Hispanic

Born in South America

Very low income family : about $23,000 a year

Current IB Junior

Grades:

Straight As in high school, but a 4.86 unweighted because of laziness in middle school. It should go up each semester.

Rank 19/467

SAT: 1830 total. 600 reading, 610 math, 620 writting

My current practice test scores lean towards the 2100 range though

Past/ Current / projected/classes that count towards college credit:

SL Chemistry

HL English

HL History of the Americas

HL Bio

SL French

SL Math(Calc)

AP Euro

AP U.S History

AP Computer Science

AP Calc AB

AP Bio

Projected scores-

6 maybe 7 in sl chem

5 in english

6 in history of americas

7 in bio

7 in french

7 in ib calc

4 in ap euro

4 in ap us

5 in ap computer science

4 in ap calc

5 in ap bio

Extraciriculars:

Debate Team

Academic Team

Track

FIRST robotics competition

chemistry club

chemistry olympiad

ecology club

Plan:

I hope to apply to Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Georgia Tech as my main choices. I'm very much interested in computer engineering. I know my fall back is the University of Florida since nearly every IB kid in my school gets in there, and it's not a bad choice.

Edited by l0stboy

MIT is definitely one of those "up there" post-secondary institutions, and personally I don't know anything about US universities or Ivy League stuff, I consulted a friend of mine who did apply US universities.

He said that everything you do, SAT, IB- those scores all have to be really high; if you have an 80 average but a perfect SAT, it won't work. vice versa. Also you should aim for 700+ in each section on the SATs. On top of that you're extracurriculars should be rich and full of great activities... I've also heard from my peers that MIT needs a 42 IB score, but don't quote me on that.

You haven't done the second SAT yet have you? Work your ass off for that one :P

Seems to me you're in a pretty tight spot, but good luck nonetheless.

• Like 1

Yeah, I do plan on working extremely hard to raise my SAT scores. All the ones I get wrong are because I didn't read read the question right or second guessed myself, so I know I have the capability to do well. The reason my classes are like that is because the IB program at my school is fairly small. I actually have to take AP comp. sci and AP calc online. I was just wondering since some of the current seniors at my school have done pretty much the same courses I've taken (some with near perfect SAT score), but they still get deferred or declined. On a second thought, even if I were to get admitted, how much financial aid would they be willing to give? I don't want to work myself too hard in college to be in cycling debt later.

Edited by l0stboy

• 4 weeks later...