UK universities for the average IB student?

larchene_06

Go on UCAS, use the updated course search and have a rummage. I am applying to do geography and have all my offers now including Edinburgh, Leicester, York, Newcastle and Dundee. Three of those are Russell group and Edinburgh and York I believe hover around the 10th place mark in the overall rankings. My offers are all 32 (some of which have subject specifics), bar Dundee which sits at 30 with 5,5,5 at hl. Essentially,I am admittedly a very lazy student and I am pretty surprised I got offers from all my choices especially considering Edinburgh and Newcastle have a range of 32-37 and 32-35 which usually means the offer will be the upper scale of the requirements. A classmate has even had Bristol for politics and spanish for 32. So, unless your subject is v competitive look around and there is an array of surprisingly low offers for some very strong universities. Still though, if you're looking at towards the bottom of your predictions (28) places like Aberdeen, Dundee and maybe Aberystwyth are probably safe bets.

I am predicted the following but I am reasonably confident I'll exceed them.

english HL-5

geography HL-6

anthropology HL-6

maths sl-4

Env Sys-6

french sl-4

TOK-B

EE-C

=32

• Like 2

Hey guys!

ok so not every IB student is willing or able to attend the top three UK uni's. Which universities would YOU suggest for anaverage IB student? (28- 32 points)

As a result of the "upgrading" of former colleges, several cities in the UK now have a number of universities with a wide range of reputations, fees and entrance requirements.

For example, if you wished to study a technical subject in Edinburgh, you could choose from:

Napier University (24 points):

http://www.napier.ac...ernational.aspx

Heriot-Watt University (26-28 points):

http://www.hw.ac.uk/

University of Edinburgh (30-34 points):

http://www.ed.ac.uk/home

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on whether you are interested more in humanities, arts or science.

With the former Goldsmiths is both a well-recognisable university and yet their requirements in general are not very high (some subjects have offers for 31-34 points). But you have to get higher grades from your HL subjects (usually three 6).

Art schools do not require high grades at all. For instance Central Saint Martins requires only a diploma, what counts is the portfolio.

Science is tougher, here you usually need better grades. In London also City Unversity is quite easy to get to.

Good luck:)

Edinburgh might have low requirements but in practice they usually give offers for 38 points (it is mostly because of the fact that they are much cheaper than English universities and yet very prestigious).

Edited by florentyna