Art Catching Up!

Coco8

I didn't take art as a subject in GCSE but I did take Graphics and ICT.

I've always been interested in technology, and because I want to study Graphic Design in university, I decided to take art as an IB subject.

However, the problem now is that I find it difficult to be creative and come up with ideas for even the simplest things like the page layout.

Also, I am the only person in my class who has not taken GCSE art and so I feel quite intimidated and can never work in the class.

I am falling back and I really want to catch up and do the best possible.

Also, one more thing.... I am a perfectionist so I take ALOT of time on everything, which does pull me back sometimes.

We are starting to develop ideas for a studio piece right now, but my teacher has told me I have to catch up on my sketch book work before i start the studio work (I also have no idea what to do for this.)

Any suggestions or advice would be great!!

Thanks guys :D

Hey..well thats going to be a challenge..since you didn't take art at GCSE i say on a few pages work on observational studies, pencil techniques, paint techniques, chalk pastel techniques and oil pastel techniques. These are the basics you need to know for art. Of course you will have to write about how you feel about each technique whilst you're doing it...something like.. "I liked drawing and shading this object with pencil because it was easier to shade with and the i can show the depth of the object easily" (that was just made up, don't use it lol)

If you're not very strong at drawing, your studio pieces can be sculptures or even movies. There are lots of types of art and not all of them involve you physically drawing something, but the planning process of the studio MUST be done in your IWB with drawings and visual development ideas.

The beauty about IB art, you don't have to be a perfectionist, i used to be one now i thrive on my mistakes. Making mistakes is only human nature but i don't blame you for wanting to be a perfectionist. If you make a mistake in your IWB, dont rip your page out, just write about why you feel you made a mistake and how you can perfect it :)

Im sure your teacher has given you an assignment for this studio piece..or are you starting off with your chosen theme already??

For the Layout for your page look at this topic: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/12744-visual-arts-workbook-guidance/ it has everything you need to know about your IWB and options.

If you need more help don't be scared to ask=) xx

• Like 2

Thanks so much :D

The theme we were given from September 2011 was 'movement'.

Along with observational drawings, we had to do pages on artists like Picasso, Matisse and Degas but I'm not really interested in stuff like that so I haven't done that work. I like looking at graphic design and ICT and I love working on the computer.

I think it will take some time for me to start not being a perfectionist. But I really need to start being more creative and just being 'free' with my art, cause I bother too much with pointless stuff. I'm not sure how that's going to happen but I hope it does.

GCSE Art is O-level visual arts. So year 10 and year 11

Guest Aastha

As far as my knowledge speaks, in Visual Arts.. IB wants to grade you solely on the basis of your progress in all possible dimensions.

I was initially extremely weak with sketching on paper and things but my teacher made me do projects for months and months just to improve my sketching skills!

if you want a deep insight of the criteria, I have something for you:

IB Visual Arts Workbook Guidance.pdf

And yeah I don't know about the GSCE arts, but I am sure that they don't want to see only graphic work.

This will be more than helpful to fetch you a 6, if you comprehend it well.

Edited by Aastha

I don't mind sketching, but the thing for me is "what do i sketch". I get caught up in stuff like that instead of the main thing.

oh and I cant view the pdf for some reason. it says i don't have permission to view the attachment.

Guest Aastha

I swear to god, I encountered the same issue in my IB DP1 but to understand perception better I googled and surfed and studied perception in 2D 3D objects.

Then next my problem was I Sucked at Live sketches! So since I was into photography and graphics...what I did was that I would take photographs of things I would like to sketch ... Like a street, etc. and then print the photograph of the size I would want to sketch and then slowly from using tracing paper and other techniques.... basically sheer practice....I became better.

Start from a simple landscape, I would suggest! Streets, landscapes, etc. Portraits require a lot of time and practice...you need to touch all definitions and things.

And here you go:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/files/file/1975-visual-arts-workbook-amp-research-guidance/

Edited by Aastha

Thanks so much :D

The theme we were given from September 2011 was 'movement'.

Along with observational drawings, we had to do pages on artists like Picasso, Matisse and Degas but I'm not really interested in stuff like that so I haven't done that work. I like looking at graphic design and ICT and I love working on the computer.

I think it will take some time for me to start not being a perfectionist. But I really need to start being more creative and just being 'free' with my art, cause I bother too much with pointless stuff. I'm not sure how that's going to happen but I hope it does.

GCSE Art is O-level visual arts. So year 10 and year 11

No problem :) graphic design and ICT work is great but even though you're not interested in looking at picasso etc you're going to have to hun "/ you have to show the IB you're versatile, plus they also want artists research (its part of the criteria), you can always put a little twist to one of the masters paintings to make it your own :)

So hows it going with the theme?? You reached sketcher's block?? If you need help and ideas just send me a PM and i'll try my best to help=)

Guest Aastha

I loathed Picasso and those classical arts, honestly it went over my head.

but then after some serious research on the net... I loved the story behind the paintings.

here are links to start you up :

http://library.thinkquest.org/5764/roseblueperiod.htm

http://pablo-picasso.paintings.name/blue-period/

PS: You should have a look at Picasso's Blue Period: LIFE. LIFE is a very intriguing and debatable painting.

His paintings are like homophones. lol

I have some ideas for movement - eg i have loads of photographs from a trip to nyc, so i might be using those in some way.

and i also want to look into parkour as a form of movement. stuff like that.

and yes, i have reached sketcher's block!

thanks again :)