DoctorHer

I've just started the IB diploma programme and am wondering if I have made the right decision in taking SL biology over ESS.

I take HL Maths, English (Lit) and Econs, and have very very very little intention of doing anything science related in future. With the "heavy" workload, SL Biology seems almost stupid to take, especially on its own since Chemistry is like the core of all sciences. However, I don't know a lot about ESS either, and how it is assessed/what the work is like, whereas I did Biology for my GCSEs (and did quite well). All I know about ESS is that it's seen as the Math Studies of the Sciences, thus seen as a "soft" subject option, and is all about the environment (duh) and pollution and global warming and all that.

Basically,

1. Is the workload for SL Biology really as heavy as it is made out to be?

2. What is ESS?

3. Is there a use for Biology/ESS on its own?

3. Which subject would you suggest be a better choice for me - someone who's quite good at Biology, but has no intention of taking up a science course in uni?

ESS is a science course for people who don't like science.

It's easy compared to the other sciences, but it's also pretty boring.

But I would say you're guaranteed a 5 or higher without have to know so much stuff.

In ESS, it's more about food chains etc (thats the systems part) but there is also the societies part, where you study populations...

Guest Jar Jar D'oh!

Sorry I didn't have the time to read your entire post, but It seems that you have subjects that are primarily based on learn long bits of definitions and huge explanations of the market, cartels and also with 2 world lits gunning for you and oh...how could I forget maths HL, you OUGHT to take the lightest subject.

Now I'm not gonna recommend because what's light depends on the individual, for example, I love animals etc. thus I find bio real easy, if you on the other hand like a balance, say biochemistry, then EES is your thing, though, correct me if I'm wrong, but EES has some business aspects- so that might go well with your Econs.

Cheers and I wish you a happy slow death XD...you're in IB ;) ( Don't take it to heart!)

• 3 weeks later...

I've never see anyone take HL Math and Environmental. Most people who take HL Math take double sciences and mock the environmental kids. However, if you do not wish to go into the sciences I would recommend ESS. However, based on your subjects I would recommend SL Biology if it doesn't prove to be too overwhelming for you.

1. I don't think so. I've always heard of hl bio being crazy in terms of workload, but sl bio is pretty manageable. That said, that may depend on my school.

2. It's like a mix of biology (ecology, the simpler stuff) and geography.

3. Actually, I know a lot of people who just take sl bio on its own. It's chemistry that people never take alone, in my opinion.

4. ESS, unless you like biology a lot. Why? Because you don't want to do anything science related in the future, because you have hl math so no university will look down on you for taking ESS, and you'll want some extra time to be able to work on hl math anyway.

Good luck, whatever you decide and once you do, don't regret it. :)

• 1 month later...