How much do your ib year 1 grades matter?

Sliceubanana

Right now im in ib 1and im just barely scraping off 28 points and i was wondering if i only get if say a 30 in my first year but i get something like a 36 next year will my grades in year 1 lower my chances in getting an offer in a university of my choice next year?

Ps: planning to go to hku or hkust for regular bba

HKU or HKUST??? serious?? HKUST visited my school and I think they said the minimum is around 37? can't precisely remember but it's definitely above 32.

when applying to universities, you will have to submit predicted grades and your teachers will come up with these. how do they do it? it differs from school to school.

at some schools the teachers would average the student's grades from the start of IB up to the present grades. at some other schools they would use the student's grades from mock exams. at some other schools they fake it, and yet some other schools have their own ways of doing it.

now if your school takes your IB1 grades into account for the predictions, yes you are in danger. but if not, then you're safe. it would be better to check with your school or your seniors, and try to improve your grades.

• 1 month later...