Do these things count as CAS

James Byrne

Okay, so I have been teaching myself a language that I do not know/learn in school...can I count this as CAS?

Also, I;m not a very good artist or painter, so i bought a paint by number where you paint a certain color inside the lines...I still thought it was hard and challenging and it took me somewhere around 16-20 collective hours to complete..does this count also?

Thanks(:

To my knowledge I don't think either one counts :( I think you have to be actually taught, not something in your free time. For example, I paint for fun because I enjoy it but was told it doesn't count for CAS hours. I take guitar lessons from a music school though and that counts, plus whenever I practise...you should check with your CAS coordinator

Neither counts, sorry. Like the above poster said, you need to actually go to language lessons for it to count. Do you know someone who can teach you the language you're learning? If so, you can get them to sign off on your CAS so it can count.

Perhaps take a painting class for beginners? This would definitely count for creativity, and it would be a good project to have since it's new for you and you can reflect a lot on your growth.

• Like 1

I don't think the first two count, not only because your self-teaching yourself, but because there is no-one to oversee what you're doing. I don't know how your CAS forms at your school work, but at mine you need 'proof' you've done it, i.e. someone else (not in your family) to sign off your CAS form.

For the pen pal idea, I think it's best to ask your CAS supervisor. After all, it is that supervisor who will sign it off for you in the end.

Maybe you can find a pen pal through a teacher at school, and have them oversee what letters you're sending? You could show any emails/letters to them as proof occasionally, and have them sign that off.