Emailing Universities/Colleges

sarahlouise

So I was just wondering,

When people email colleges or universities, either in the UK or US, what sort of things do they ask/say? Because it seems to me that almost all the information can be found on their websites. Or do people just emailing asking for all that stuff to get their name known to the uni/college?

Do the colleges/unis normally have any extra material that they don't put out on the website, but that they will send you if you ask?

Thanks in advance.

There are some personal things that may be very specific to someone. I had a couple of those, and trust me, the answers cannot be found on the website.

And there is really no point e-mailing to get your name 'known', because most universities don't even keep track of communication (they say so on the website).

And, no, they probably don't have extra materials they will send that could be advantageous to you or any other student (I am assuming that is what you are asking about). They will most likely redirect you to some links or answer your question directly.

• Like 2

I actually don't see ANY point at all in emailing universities unless their website totally sucks you can't get any info from there, or unless you actually have to correspond with them. I know people who actually email universities to ask questions whose answers they can easily find on the website and I was like WTF can't you just browse around and not waste their time??!

anyway I think they would be annoyed to receive questions whose answers can easily be found on the website. believe me, they would. unless they're robots.

having said that, I have emailed like two universities to ask but the answer really couldn't be found on their website. the first one was about the entry requirement, they only mentioned at least a 5 in IB English but it was not specified English A or B and at which level, so I had to ask if English B would be acceptable. the second one was about scholarship application period because it's not stated in their website.

• Like 1

In the case of American Universities. GO AHEAD and email them. They should be glad to help.

I asked them these sort of questions: (THESE QUESTIONS DID NOT HAVE ANSWERS ON ANY OF THEIR WEBSITES)

What is the average IB grade your students?

Do you give credits to IB students?

What's the greek life on campus like and do international students get involved? (It probably won't apply to many of you :P)

Do you have an international students center?

What do students do on weekends?

I'm in the IB program...is it ok if I've taken Standard level Math over Higher level? (again it depends on what your applying for and what your doing)

What are the internship opportunities on your campus like?

And stuff like that.

In the case of American Universities. GO AHEAD and email them. They should be glad to help.

I asked them these sort of questions: (THESE QUESTIONS DID NOT HAVE ANSWERS ON ANY OF THEIR WEBSITES)

What's the greek life on campus like and do international students get involved? (It probably won't apply to many of you :P)

I'm in the IB program...is it ok if I've taken Standard level Math over Higher level? (again it depends on what your applying for and what your doing)

And stuff like that.

Ehh. I probably wouldn't email them about these questions, because they can be found on most websites.

The only two really legitimate questions is asking if it is okay to take math HL. Even asking them if they accept IB credit should be assesible on their website. If they don't specify, they usually don't accept credits.

The rest of the questions, imo, should be saved for an interview or with an admissions rep at school. Many schools also have live sessions to answer these types of questions.

Remember, admissions officiers are really busy! So, use your best judgement.

• Like 2

And stuff like that.

Ehh. I probably wouldn't email them about these questions, because they can be found on most websites.

The only two really legitimate questions is asking if it is okay to take math HL. Even asking them if they accept IB credit should be assesible on their website. If they don't specify, they usually don't accept credits.

The rest of the questions, imo, should be saved for an interview or with an admissions rep at school. Many schools also have live sessions to answer these types of questions.

Remember, admissions officiers are really busy! So, use your best judgement.

I have NOT seen ANY college in the US (at least the ones I applied to) having the answers to ANY of these questions. colleges NEVER publicize their average IB grades...you HAVE to ask them.

But anyway I applied to smaller Liberal Arts colleges...so this is more for those.

Oh and by the way, US admissions officers are paid thousands of dollars. It's THEIR JOB to answer our questions in person and over email. <--- An admissions officer of Yale, herself told me this.