Math Ia Sophisticated Mathematics

Psychological Intellect.

So my math studies IA is due on 2/28. For my class the grade I get on my IA from my teacher is going to count as a test grade. He says that to get anything higher then about a 12 / 20 we must have sophisticated mathematics. Things as advanced or more advanced then quadratics. So survays are out =/ Do you guys have any type of idea of what I could do? That would be simple and not time consuming but would still include "sophisticated mathematics"?

Well, you could do surveys on how much sleep IB students get versus the grades we make, how much you read and how that effects the vocabulary you have gathered (though that's a bit vague), basically take two factors and see if there's a correlation between them. I took math SL, not math studies, so I don't know a whole lot about how the coursework is structured, but I feel that if you have some strong connections between two factors and are able to analyze them statistically, you'll do fairly well. Double check with your prof. though if you have any troubles, they'll usually have most of the answers.

Best of luck,

EccentricPianist

Do you have any ideas/tips as too what i can do surveys on that wouldnt be too difficult?

Little late reply but meh...

You can pick anything you want really. You need 2 variables you think relate to each other. More height leads to a longer arm span. Height is x, arm span is y.

Two things to remember:

Variables must be quantifiable.

There must be a reasoning behind your variables.

Don't just pick two random variables like...height and the price of the person's house. Unless you can somehow tie the two together in your introduction...

Pick 2 that you can explain WHY you think they are related because the whole IA is kind of like a story that goes like...

Here is 2 variables and I think they are related because yada yada yada yada yada. Now I'm going to conduct <insert mathematical processes here> to check their correlation to each other. Based of the results of my mathematical processes these variables are related/not related (This is a little different for a chi-squared test due to the null hypothesis stuff). At this point you discuss how your math could not give the variables justice, what if your chi-squared test showed no relation yet there is an obvious trend but the data is just spread out a lot. What if the coefficient denotes a bad correlation yet your chisquared says they ARE related. Why is your math contradicting itself? Was there an outlier in your data throwing it off? IB likes discussion...

Make sure you can do that with your variables when you pick them :P

• 2 weeks later...

Don't just pick two random variables like...height and the price of the person's house. Unless you can somehow tie the two together in your introduction...

:P

This is quite off-topic.. But anyways, your example isn't as ridicilous/random as it sounds. Studies have shown that tall people (especially men) get higher wages than shorter ones. Higher wage -> more expensive house :D

You'd have to prove that last bit of logic too :P

But that's good to know since I'm 6'3" (~190cm) XD