Doctor - Math SL Studies?

MissAnonymous94

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

SL isn't that bad.. and I heard from my teacher that if you take math HL it would be so beneficial when you go to university.

Doctor wannabe's especially need to learn hard core math.

I actually don't think Maths is particularly beneficial to do Medicine, you don't need to know any hard core mathematics as it's not relevant to what is essentially a memorisation/biology course. Perhaps if you were applying for engineering or maths, HL would be necessary. SL Maths or Maths Studies are both adequate in terms of equipping you (SL Maths has the slight advantage of doing logs - I say slight because you only need to be able to read log graphs to understand some papers, and even then you can get by despite having no clue), although whether Studies counts against you, nobody knows exactly. It's hard to know without being psychic and reading the minds of different admissions departments :P People do get in with Studies but most people do SL to the point at which it's hard to know whether Studies actually does make you a less competitive candidate - not many people run that risk, so there's basically no evidence either way!

SL isn't that bad.. and I heard from my teacher that if you take math HL it would be so beneficial when you go to university.

Doctor wannabe's especially need to learn hard core math.

I actually don't think Maths is particularly beneficial to do Medicine, you don't need to know any hard core mathematics as it's not relevant to what is essentially a memorisation/biology course. Perhaps if you were applying for engineering or maths, HL would be necessary. SL Maths or Maths Studies are both adequate in terms of equipping you (SL Maths has the slight advantage of doing logs - I say slight because you only need to be able to read log graphs to understand some papers, and even then you can get by despite having no clue), although whether Studies counts against you, nobody knows exactly. It's hard to know without being psychic and reading the minds of different admissions departments :P People do get in with Studies but most people do SL to the point at which it's hard to know whether Studies actually does make you a less competitive candidate - not many people run that risk, so there's basically no evidence either way!

Lots of UK universities stated that they want Math SL when they came to visit my school. Just my $0.02.

And lots of US colleges want a year of calculus. I have no clue if its there in Math Studies, so you may wnana check on that.