cas activities

johnnyy

are 3 points being added to your overall grade in IB just because you have completed your cas activities?

3 points are NOT added just for CAS activities. They are added for the completion of CAS activities, Extended Essay, and TOK. And all must be completed SUCCESSFULLY (aka, you pass). Thats what the 3 points are for. :)

• Like 2

so if you don't complete one of them, you can't get a diploma, right?

Correct. You've also got to get above a minimum grade in TOK and the EE. It works like a pyramid - if you get an A/A or an A/B combination in these, you get 3 points. If you get a B/B or a B/C combination, 2 points. And so on.

For CAS there's no minimum grade - you either pass it (meet the requirements) or fail it. It doesn't earn you any points as such, you just can't get any of the 3 points if you've not done it. Or in fact your diploma :P

• Like 1

aha thanks for answering. and one more thing, what do you mean by completing them "successfully"? You meant not getting an E from any of them?

so if you don't complete one of them, you can't get a diploma, right?

Correct. You've also got to get above a minimum grade in TOK and the EE. It works like a pyramid - if you get an A/A or an A/B combination in these, you get 3 points. If you get a B/B or a B/C combination, 2 points. And so on.

For CAS there's no minimum grade - you either pass it (meet the requirements) or fail it. It doesn't earn you any points as such, you just can't get any of the 3 points if you've not done it. Or in fact your diploma :P

Interesting how that "lovely" CAS activities play an important role on your diploma :P

I have a question: Is it worth doing a lot of activities outside of schools for CAS, or is it fine to have a small number of activities? Right now I do something everyday after school (5 different things) and it's killing my work time. Should I drop some activities in order to pull up my grades?

I have a question: Is it worth doing a lot of activities outside of schools for CAS, or is it fine to have a small number of activities? Right now I do something everyday after school (5 different things) and it's killing my work time. Should I drop some activities in order to pull up my grades?

If CAS activities are eating away into your study time then reduce the number of activities/hours you do per week. Remember, the requirement is only 50 hours in creativity, active and service (that's really easy even for someone like me who doesn't do much extra-curricular stuff)

Edited by brofessional
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...