Tips for Analysing Poetry/Prose?

GirlwiththeBlueBox

Hello, everyone! So tomorrow begins exams for me, and I should be good for everything except for English. Now, English had been one of my favourite subjects before, and I felt like I was decent at it, but this year not so much. My teacher is very smart and seems to be good at what she does, but she's very harsh with marks. However, we've taken only one practise exam for English and I didn't do very well. It was on analysing poetry, which is what our exam will be on.

Does anyone have any tips on how to analyse poetry/prose?

Thank you very much!

If it's a long exam (should be either 1.5 or 2 hours), make sure you take at least 1/3 of that time to focus on examples of metaphor, sound techniques and diction. Note hard and soft sounds: discuss connotations of this effect. Note diction: a series of words with 'warm' connotations followed by a series of words with 'cold' connotations may effectively signify a shift in the tone of the poem.

The way to understand poetry deeply is to look at these small techniques and relate them as closely as possible to the big picture.

Best of luck :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...