Opportunities after undergrad at King's College London

Guest Another IB Victim

Guest Another IB Victim

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever, or if it's possible (the likeliness I guess is what I'm trying to say) to do, an undergraduate Philosophy course at King's College London then go on to do a post-grad course at Oxbridge? Would I have to get a first?

I haven't... i'm younger than you most likely.

However, put yourself in the position of Oxbridge... would you rather someone with a first or 2.1? *waits for answer*

*yes*

So even you said it yourself they would rather a first. Try your best to get a high first and you'll be competitive. Post graduate is quite competitive.

Guest Another IB Victim

However, put yourself in the position of Oxbridge... would you rather someone with a first or 2.1? *waits for answer*

*yes*

So even you said it yourself they would rather a first. Try your best to get a high first and you'll be competitive. Post graduate is quite competitive.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Obviously I'm not at uni yet but I'm guessing getting a first isn't easy. Haha, I'm clearly great at pointing out the obvious.

*yes*

Yeah, I guess you're right. Obviously I'm not at uni yet but I'm guessing getting a first isn't easy. Haha, I'm clearly great at pointing out the obvious.

A lot of other factors will come into it. They won't necessarily discard your application if you don't get a first

Edited by brofessional

I have a similar question: I got rejected by Oxford and am trying to decide whether I should go to King's (Hispanic Studies with English) or Queen Mary (Hispanic Studies and Linguistics). The course content of the second one really appeals to me, because I would like to do linguistics. I am thinking about trying to get into Oxford for postgrad, would I be at a 'disadvantage' if I did my undergraduate at QMUL, as it is ranked lower than King's? Or do I stand a chance as long as the degree is relevant and I get a first? In the entry requirements for postgrad at Oxford it says:

An undergraduate degree with first or upper second class honours or equivalent from a British or recognised foreign university

Does this mean that the university from which you got this undergraduate degree doesn't really make a difference?

I have a similar question: I got rejected by Oxford and am trying to decide whether I should go to King's (Hispanic Studies with English) or Queen Mary (Hispanic Studies and Linguistics). The course content of the second one really appeals to me, because I would like to do linguistics. I am thinking about trying to get into Oxford for postgrad, would I be at a 'disadvantage' if I did my undergraduate at QMUL, as it is ranked lower than King's? Or do I stand a chance as long as the degree is relevant and I get a first? In the entry requirements for postgrad at Oxford it says:

An undergraduate degree with first or upper second class honours or equivalent from a British or recognised foreign university

Does this mean that the university from which you got this undergraduate degree doesn't really make a difference?

Really, it won't make much of a difference. QMUL is a well respected University and if it's a few spot lower than King's on one ranking table, it will be above King's in another ranking table. Universities for post-grad courses don't really pander to things as fickle as ranking of their universities (unless you come from somewhere really questionable).

As long as you manage your high 2:1/1st in your degree, Oxbridge will be open to you, you just have to shine in that interview.

Arrowhead.

• Like 2