Warwick vs. King's College London

Guest Another IB Victim

Guest Another IB Victim

Hi,

I've been debating this with myself for a while I know and I figure it's time to get some help. I currently have conditional offers from both universities for 38 points (for both) and I really can't decide which one I want to go to. The degree is Philosophy btw :)

I've done some research and it looks like Kings is usually ranked higher in league tables for 2012 specifically for Philosophy. The problem however is that King's is about 20 minutes away from where I live so it would be logical for me to live at home while I study, this is something I don't want to do though. I really want to move away from home and that's where Warwick comes into the picture.

So, I'm torn. Do I go against my feelings and just stay at home and get a degree from a better university OR go away to a worse university but be away from home?

Oh and I've also been considering the fact that I'd like to have a decent chance of doing a post-graduate course in Oxbridge after all this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

well to do a post graduate degree you'd need a first to study there.

Don't look at league tables... try visiting the uni if you can. This isn't to say that league tables are 100% unreliable but there's more to the university than education :)

If you think living at home for another 3 years will piss you off then don't do so.

Go to Kings and live in halls?

Loads of Londoners live in Halls/flats/houses etc. but their actual home home is less than 30 mins away.

It'd be nice to go to a different part of the country for sure (I firmly believe that all Londoners should experience the world outside London) but Kings is a much better University with better future career options, teaching etc. Unless you really wanted the atmosphere of Warwick, it does make the most sense to go to Kings.

Why apply to a University on your doorstep if you didn't want to go to one? XD I didn't apply to any of the ones closest to me for that very reason.

Guest Another IB Victim

Go to Kings and live in halls?

Loads of Londoners live in Halls/flats/houses etc. but their actual home home is less than 30 mins away.

It'd be nice to go to a different part of the country for sure (I firmly believe that all Londoners should experience the world outside London) but Kings is a much better University with better future career options, teaching etc. Unless you really wanted the atmosphere of Warwick, it does make the most sense to go to Kings.

Why apply to a University on your doorstep if you didn't want to go to one? XD I didn't apply to any of the ones closest to me for that very reason.

That was one thing I was considering, it's just the cost that I'm worried about. I'll have to look into the cost of living in on these hall thingys but if it's high then I just think I'd be a fool to "waste" money when I could just live 20 minutes away (and then I'm back at my original problem)

Honestly, I don't know why I did apply. It was probably because on paper, it seemed the best option. At home, I'd have all my food taken care of, clothes washed etc...

• 3 months later...
Guest Loco Mo Mo

Hey. : )

So what did you decide to go for in the end? : )

In the end, I decided on Kings and I'm probably going to just live in the halls :yep: