What colleges from the University of Toronto do you recommend?

marauder7

Hello IB people!

I hope you can help me with this. I'm going to apply to the University of Toronto. I plan to study Anthropology. But in the application process I have to choose colleges. I have no idea what to choose!

What is a college exactly?

What are the differences between them?

I'm very confused :(

I'd like a place where there are few parties, single bedrooms and that's near to everything. Anyone from Canada know something that can help me?

Also I found the term "commutiing student" what's that???

I'm also considering other universities: McGill, UBC, Alberta, Queen's, Calgary, Victoria and York. Which do you recommend? Which has the best program for anthropology?

Thanks!

Edited by marauder7

You can find information on the whole collegiate system of U of T all over the internet, but the university itself has several pages that explain it. You may want to check:

Also, when I was choosing colleges I found two really helpful blogs that basically give a brief explanation of each college with some pros and cons:

It would be a good idea to order the U of T prospectus as the university also includes information on the residence each college offers, the meal plans, the costs and several other facts. Overall though, you need to find the college that appeals to you. I see that you are from Mexico so I would assume that at least for your first year you would be living on campus so the atmosphere of your college would be really important. You don't want to end up at a place where you feel miserable. If you want to have a look at the colleges, here is a good youtube video:

. Since academically there is absolutely no difference whether you belong to Trinity College or New College (two randomly chosen colleges), try to find as much information as possible because most of them are quite different.

A commuter student is one that does not live on campus during his/her studies.

My knowledge on Canadian universities is very limited, but I believe that McGill is a really good university and this is why the entry requirements are relatively high. I know nothing about the other universities though. Good luck with your applications.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I´d recommend Woodsworth, as it is the most modern place. It´s more like living in an apartment with seperate bedrooms than it is living in dorms, which is great if you want to be a bit independent. You live with a few people in the same apartment, but you have separate bedrooms that have keycard-locks.They don´t offer a mealplan (as far as I know), meaning that you have to make your own food, but you have a kitchen and you can (i think) get a mealplan from other colleges. Woodsworth has basically everything you need to live exactly like you want to, bathrooms that you share with only the people in your apartment, huge refridgerators, oven, couches, etc.

• 2 months later...

It depends on your housing preference. If you prefer traditional housing, then look at Trinity, Victoria and University College. Thats the first step of course. In addition to this, each College specializes in a field. If I am not mistaken, Trinity and Victoria have their hands deep rooted in the field of Anthropology, Do your research before making a choice