Lab Report on Photosynthesis - help!

shushu

I have a few days to come up with a research question on Photosynthesis. So far, I have came up with 2 ideas that may or may not be very good.. =/

1. pH on the rate of photosynthesis. The problem with this one is how I would actually carry out the experiment. I'd need 5 different pH values, and I intend to use 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. I need suggestions on what chemicals should I add to get the mentioned pH values.. help anyone?

2. I was thinking since Ribulose bisphosphate is an important component in photosynthesis, is there any sort of chemical/enzyme i can add into the experiment that'll either increase or decrease the amount of Ribulose bisphosphate present in the plant leaves? If there is one, then I could use that as an independent variable..

Lastly, how should I measure the rate of photosynthesis?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

1. Ribulose biphosphate, just like every other enzyme, has an optimum pH level. First thing I'd do is research it and base your pH levels off of it. Most examples that I know of would denature with more than a 2 pH difference from their optimum pH so your range is far to wide. If it turns out to be...i don't know...5...use like 3 4 5 6 7 for your IV values. Any strong acid/base will do (HCl/NaOH work fine and you probably have both). The pH's of the HCl can be found by taking the negative log of the concentration of the acid and the pH of NaOH can be found by taking 14 minus the negative log of the concentration of NaOH.

2. I don't think there is, sorry =/

Rate of photosynthesis can be measured by consumption of CO2, the production of O2 and also there was something about the difference in biomass before and after the predetermined time interval but I don't remember how that worked but I'm sure someone else here knows.

Okay, I shall go and look up on pH levels of Ribulose bisphosphate =)

I have also came up with another idea for my experiment: Different amounts of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) on the rate of photosynthesis. This would be done by adding 5 different amounts of baking soda into about 300ml of water, and then leaving the plant in there to photosynthesize. However, the problem here is how would I measure the rate of photosynthesis by leaving the plant submerged in water? =/ Any ideas?

I'm really stuck on how I should measure the production of gases. Is there a kind of device that can help me measure the level of carbon dioxide or oxygen production?

Thank you so much.

How about if I used an aquatic plant? Do you think the baking soda idea is suitable for an IA title?

By leaving it underwater, I could use a method of measuring photosynthesis by counting the bubbles produced... but is there another way? Like some sort of electrical device that you've used before in your experiments perhaps..?

Edited by babysaffron

Vernier has all kinds of sensors you can use if you have access to them somehow. CO2 sensors, O2 sensors, just about every other sensor I've ever needed...

I don't think the baking soda would work well. I think you're trying to use it to increase the available CO2 concentration in the plant but when you and sodium bicarbonate to water you end up with sodium and a diluted acid. That acid does break down into CO2 pretty quickly but you would have two variables as the CO2 concentration is changing as is the pH of the water.