Warwick vs. Durham

Where Love Died Laughing

Hey,

So, I'm applying for English Literature. I got rejected by Oxford, my dream school, but I was sort of expecting it. I was accepted to Nottingham as a sort of safety school, asking for 36 and 6 in English... but I can't decide which to put as my first choice... so, Warwick or Durham?

Thanks (:

Both have a great reputation for English Lit., but Durham perhaps more.

They're also very different sorts of Unis. Durham is a collegiate style University with different colleges, whereas Warwick is more of a big campus University. Have you looked into the actual places themselves? Because really, that's quite a big deal XD

Ranking tables can sometimes be useful but it looks like Warwick and Durham are both pretty high up! So I don't know how useful it'd be. http://www.guardian....y-guide-english To be honest I'd therefore go on the kind of course and place - the rank and reputation, you're looking at two very similar places.

Both have a great reputation for English Lit., but Durham perhaps more.

They're also very different sorts of Unis. Durham is a collegiate style University with different colleges, whereas Warwick is more of a big campus University. Have you looked into the actual places themselves? Because really, that's quite a big deal XD

Ranking tables can sometimes be useful but it looks like Warwick and Durham are both pretty high up! So I don't know how useful it'd be. http://www.guardian....y-guide-english To be honest I'd therefore go on the kind of course and place - the rank and reputation, you're looking at two very similar places.

Thanks for replying. ((: Well, Durham is pretty far up North, whereas Warwick is located in Coventry, so that's a big plus for Warwick. And Warwick seems to have a more laid back approach which is also pretty good. But I was wondering whether the difference in ranking is negligible or not? Is Durham more prestigious than Warwick in that sense?

Get to an open day, you don't need to rush getting your places confirmed so don't.

Visit the place and see whether you like the surroundings and all that fancy stuff.

Well, I live in Serbia, and getting UK visas over here is pretty difficult. But thanks for replying ((:

Thanks for replying. ((: Well, Durham is pretty far up North, whereas Warwick is located in Coventry, so that's a big plus for Warwick. And Warwick seems to have a more laid back approach which is also pretty good. But I was wondering whether the difference in ranking is negligible or not? Is Durham more prestigious than Warwick in that sense?

Got something against the North? :P

And I have no idea if the difference in ranking is negligible or not. It's only 1-place different so clearly the divide is very small. I gave you a link to a ranking table: draw the conclusions for yourself. You might also want to look and see what the ranks were in previous years to get an idea of how consistently they're ranked that way (easy via google). You can try and find out the criteria that they use to rank and maybe that'll help you realise what ranks are really reflecting - I have no idea myself. On a final note, there are other ranking tables besides what the Guardian has produced. You can try looking at these.

Personally, I'd try to pick based on location, accommodation and how much there is to do in the area etc. if they're closely tied.

Got something against the North? :P

And I have no idea if the difference in ranking is negligible or not. It's only 1-place different so clearly the divide is very small. I gave you a link to a ranking table: draw the conclusions for yourself. You might also want to look and see what the ranks were in previous years to get an idea of how consistently they're ranked that way (easy via google). You can try and find out the criteria that they use to rank and maybe that'll help you realise what ranks are really reflecting - I have no idea myself. On a final note, there are other ranking tables besides what the Guardian has produced. You can try looking at these.

Personally, I'd try to pick based on location, accommodation and how much there is to do in the area etc. if they're closely tied.

Nah, I've got nothing against the North, it's just that Coventry is more accessible in terms of transport and so on since I'd be on and off planes quite often. But thanks for the help. (:

what about the course content? have you looked at the modules? you may want to see which one is more interesting to you.

also what about clubs and societies? sports? social life? night life? might want to consider those.

then, costs. tuition fees... and how much does the accommodation cost? can you stay there throughout the duration of the course or only in the first year? and is there any scholarship?

don't just look at how prestigious it is. if you go to say Harvard but don't like the course or don't like the social life there then it's worthless.

• Like 1