Oxford

dandoon96

You mentioned in another thread that you are applying for either medicine or dentistry, so I assume you'll apply for medicine if you apply to Oxford. They allegedly rely quite heavily on GCSE performance when short listening applicants for medicine. If you do incredibly well on the BMAT and have a great personal statement and good references you might still have a shot though. If you get the predicted grades required, then it's always worth giving it a go!

This might interest you: http://www.medsci.ox...t-off-for-gcses

http://www.medsci.ox...d-for-interview

Edited by Sammie Backman
  • Like 1

Everyone I know who received interviews from Oxford (or Cambridge) had top GCSE grades. Not necessarily 10-11 straight A*s but mostly A*s with perhaps a one or two As. GCSEs are, ironically, still the best predictors of how well you'll do at University :P

You have to bear in mind that you're going to be competing against many of the top students from around the world. Getting straight GCSE grades is not all that hard, I suspect that anybody making a serious application would have a pretty stellar set. In all honesty, given the intensity of competition for places for Medicine in the UK, if that's where you want to apply, I wouldn't set your sights right at the top unless you have the grades to back it up. Or maybe pick one 'top' Uni and then some safer choices.

Not that any choices are really safe for Medicine :blink: It's a painful subject to get in for.

What universities do you suggest are much more safer choices ? Yet have a good reputation!

Also, aren't there special situations where although number A*s is significantly less, it is let's say - a first in that particular school! Finally, aren't IGCSE's what I did typically harder and more challenging

Also how are gcses better indicators than a levels?

Is it worth applying for med at Oxford if u didn't get all A* eg 6A* 1A 2B (languages) in IGCSE

My bro applied rejected not even interview due to poor gcse grades eg 4A* maybe

Nah, Oxford is notoriously inferior to Cambridge. It also spits out ex-Etonian politicians <content deleted for being inappropriate>

By all means apply to Cambridge, though. With a great IB prediction; a good personal statement (& explanation for the GCSEs); and sparkling reference, you should do fine. Cambridge also interviews a higher proportion of their students (ie trusts grades less).

Merry mistchras!

One person got in with no A*s at GCSE

There's no harm in going for it, but since you said medicine, the average applicant had 53% A*s the average interviewee add 80something% A*s and the average offer holder had 91% A*s, i can't remember where i got these figures from but they aren't full of lies.

At the end of the day you'll regret what you didn't do rather than what you did do

haha Daedalus, the typical offer for IB is much higher at Camb than at Ox. one must be realistic too, if one can't achieve such high grades then don't apply to Camb. LIKE ME :P

OP just give it a go? what's your IB prediction so far? I got a B in my IGCSE and apparently they don't mind. the B is in a subject not related to my course anyway.

other prestigious unis with lower requirements: UCL, ... wait. there's only one. UCL.

there are some quite good unis but still, not as good as the top 5 (Oxbridge, Imps, UCL, LSE).

Edited by Desy Glau

But English is related to any course you take if you want to study in England. Why didn't you mention Queen Mary? Or Kings?
Queen Mary has always been overlooked for some reason, I dunno why, but it just is that way. King's has some brilliant reports, but the issue with King's is that they're too big! If I'm not mistaken they have like four campuses across Central London and they teach practically everything. Also, they like to take in a lot of students. Where, for example, LSE takes on 130 new students in a batch, King's would have 400 in the same batch for the same course, making it easier to get into King's.

While King's is a brilliant University, it's, for some reason, held just half a step behind UCL, LSE, and Imperial.

• 3 weeks later...

A little birdie told me Oxford uses a mathematical formula/algorithm when trying to figure out who to invite for interview. They combine your GCSE grades and BMAT scores to calculate a rank and invite say, the top 300 for interviews. Like the other said, there's no harm in applying! :) But apply to other med schools too. There are plenty of great ones in the U.K.