Does failing Math HL portfolio means not getting a 7 in the course overall?

Flyingspacebear

For whatever reason, I thought that I could do the majority of my Type II portfolio in one night. This ended up being unsuccessful - I finished, but after proofreading thoroughly this morning, I realized I made an arithmetic error in one of the tasks, and I did not have time to interpret the accuracy or consider the fit of my model. Looking at the rubric, I'm predicting a horrific score of 11/20.

What would an 11/20 approximate to on the IB scale (1-7)? Would this score prevent me from achieving a 7 on the IB exam regardless of my performance on the second portfolio?

True, but you do know it's nearly impossible to get 100% on every part of the HL MATH exam? Not just because it's hard to do that anyways, but because of the difficulty of the papers.

If you want a 7 in HL math, aim to do really well on your Type 1 portfolio to average out your results, and then when you get to the exam itself try your best on it. Study like crazy and make sure you understand all of the concepts. Who knows, you might be able to compensate for that bad IA. :)

P.S. even though I did SL math I didn't do so well on my IAs (13/20 and 14/20) and still got a 6, so it's totally possible.

Haha thanks guys, this was nice to hear.

@ Desy - Yeah, this portfolio definitely does cast a bad light on me as a student. However, I'm a pretty decent math student - I'm taking math HL as a junior and so I'll only be taking the exam next year, and I currently have a 97% in the class. This portfolio was a wake-up call for me to start working on these portfolios sooner instead of prioritizing other classes that seemed more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...