Help with hypothesis!

mobelle

I've been staring at my lab report for about three hours right now and I can't figure it out. It's on a topic that I am having a hard time understanding generally so I could really need some help!

Its a design lab and my aim is;

The aim of this investigation is to find out how different climate circumstances can alter the rate of heat loss on various shapes.

But now I can't figure out a proper hypothesis since the body shapes will be two different kind of shapes (rectangular vs. a more square shape) and thus, I will get different results for them I am assuming..? so how do I phrase this hypothesis? My teacher gave me this:

"If variable (x) is ..............then (Y).................because............."

So variable x would be the climate change, but then the y part is where I am confused..

Can anyone help...please ??:)

/Moa

State two hypothesis: I don't take biology so I don't really know which will be the shape that has the fastest rate of heat loss

Alternative hypothesis: Because of different climate circunstances (Explain which ones) it is expected that an object with a square shape (or rectangular one) will have a greatest rate of heat loss thanks to its symmetrical (assymetrical) shape compared to that one with a rectangular one (square one) due to the fact that blah blah blah (State your reason)

Nule hypothesis: Independently of certain climate circustances (State which ones), the rate of heat loss from two objects with varying shapes will be the same. Or: The rate of heat loss from two objects with varying shapes is independent (not affected) by certain climate circustances (State which ones)

;)

Edited by Procrastination

wait, dude, you have two independent (changing) variables. that can't happen. you either choose climate change, or the shape.

your y is the rate of heat loss.

and, you actually don't need a hypothesis in IB. but if you still wanna put it in or if your teacher asked you to, well then there's no harm!

note: actually it would be more appropriate if you say surface area instead of shape. more scientific. anyway you change the surface area by changing the shape.

Okay, thanks! But my teacher (who is new in IB and does not know the rules at all) said that if I only chose various shapes then that wasnt biological enough and that I needed something like climates as well. But I agree with you that it sound weird to have two independent variables since I've never had that in a lab before...:/ Which one would you think is the best independent variable? climate changes or surface area?