Love vs. Infatuation

ivyleaguegirl

So, i just want to know what you guys think about love and how do you know if you are in love because honestly there are times when I'm so confused whether or not i'm infatuated or actually in love. Some of the questions I've asked myself: How do you know if he/she is the one? Am i just infatuated with the idea of he/she?

Just post your opinions about it! :)

Edited by ivyleaguegirl

Guest Animistic Anaemia

I guess it's really difficult to distinguish as we ourselves at this age are totally incapable of telling what's love. That's the starting point, I think... Nobody has ever been able to elucidate me about love in a manner that it will truly correspond to what I will feel when I fall in love.

But, there's a clear line between one and the other. A few weeks after the spark of the feelings, you'll be able to place it under scrutiny and with some thoughts you'll realise what it really is.

I (empirically) believe that when you're in love, you'll want no other person than the one you've got feelings for whereas if it's infatuation, you're still able to think about other people. Plus, when it really strikes you, I guess love is more subliminal and implicit, a feeling that grows over time and not something that is sparked spontaneously (although many believe in love at first sight). This effect will lead to what has been said above, no matter what, you'll still have affection and love for that person.

However, I must say, I think it's very subjective and relative to each person. It depends a lot on your personality and your reaction to feelings like this. Remember that no one knows you better than yourself :)

Edited by Animistic Anaemia

Love? well i don't think it exists for us right now but may be when we're more matured you know? Cause right now it could be all fun and games. You could be in like with someone if not in love. Well in love, i kinda agree with what a hidden name said :) If you find no faults in that person, bringing in this cheesy and adage line: love is seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

Infatuation might be a fling. It doesn't last for long and is may be just for fun. You just like the guy/girl for some time the SHABLAM! it's over and you move on. An infatuation shouldn't hurt you emotionally but being in love would. I guess in infatuation you don't long to be with the person if what i've said makes any sense lol.

But anyway, i'm going on what i believe these two terms mean :)

Agree with Gee :) to some extent. Love is definitely being able to accept, tolerate, and enjoy being with someone, despite and because of, their flaws or imperfections.

Infatuation has always confused me :/. I've always thought it's like love vs. lust, with infatuation being lust.

In my opinion (and from my personal experience), love is when you can put the other person's feelings above yours. When you leave this person because you want them to be happy, and you know you're not this happiness, even though it hurts you like nothing else had ever done. If, after you hurt the person you love, and you still love them, you leave them alone, because you know you'll hurt them even more, that reconciliation would be only for your own sake, and even if it's tearing you apart, you leave them alone.

Love means to let go if need be, regardless of how you feel.

I'd actually think it would be funny trying to distinguish between lust and love cause some people just don't get it. :P

• 12 years later...

Looking for genuine connections within the realm of Christian dating? Doulike offers a welcoming platform where individuals can seek meaningful relationships grounded in shared values and faith. With its user-friendly interface and robust features, Doulike fosters an environment where Christian singles can connect read more authentically and explore potential matches who prioritize spiritual compatibility. Whether you're seeking companionship, friendship, or romance, Doulike provides a safe and inclusive space for Christians to navigate the journey of finding love while staying true to their beliefs.

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2024 at 4:09 PM, WilmaCondon said:

Looking for genuine connections within the realm of Christian dating? Doulike offers a welcoming platform where individuals can seek meaningful relationships grounded in shared values and faith. With its user-friendly interface with twin flame vs obsession and robust features, Doulike fosters an environment where Christian singles can connect read more authentically and explore potential matches who prioritize spiritual compatibility. But when it comes to chemistry vs compatibility, I'd say that chemistry is more important. Or else how can you be "compatible" with someone where there is no chemistry, no passion and love? Whether you're seeking companionship, friendship, or romance, Doulike provides a safe and inclusive space for Christians to navigate the journey of finding love while staying true to their beliefs.

Very true. It is easy be "compatible" with someone but when it comes to chemistry, it is what makes couples strong. But in your case, I believe it is just an infatuation..