What is the best CAS project you have come across?

A couple of years ago I taught English in a small public school, called “El Ingenio”. And the grades I put to the students would go to the ministry of education of Peru, which meant I had a greater responsibility than just giving a class u.u

I planned and organized everything to have a great class but it didn’t turn out as expected. While I was trying to teach, the students didn’t listen, didn’t do their assignments and their grades were low. At the end of that class, I was disappointed with myself and didn’t want to come back ever!. I knew I was doing something wrong and that's why my CAS coordinator told me that I had to put myself in their shoes: "What would you want your English teacher to do if you were one of these children".

So I began to come out with ideas about how the things I teach should be interesting for 6th graders. But most importantly, I chose to aim for something more than just teaching English, I decided to show my students that there is a world beyond Cajamarca (where I live :P). So I based my classes in sports, dances, foods and music from around the world.

I was amazed to see what an initiative could do, because they kept asking questions about sports or dances they didn’t know, and I even managed to sing "Hello Goodbye" (The Beatles) with them in a class XD. I was at the top of the world!! And those 3 months I waited every Friday afternoon just to see them and learn from each other.

During the last class my students bought me a cup to thank me, which was one of the best experiences I've had :D

And just like I wrote on my CAS Diary:

"They thanked me for everything I did for them, but I never got the chance to thank them for teaching

me something more valuable than some English lessons, to always find ways to make something work better."

I'm sorry if I wrote too much, but I get excited every time I talk about CAS! It was a great experience to have during the IB, it worked like a stress reliever for me. =)

My best CAS project? Painting a mural for an orphanage that we visit on a weekly basis. Well, let's say after we painted it, they were really happy although some of them were too young to realise it but they were still beaming :D It was such a great messy experience. I loved it especially when it comes to that orphanage. The children are really fun to be with. The service part of CAS is always the best :)

Guest Animistic Anaemia

Hmm my best CAS project must probably be my visit to India... touching experience. Just like the person above from Peru, I taught English to children in the slums with 4-6 years. Quite amazing although I only did it for a week because after that, I travelled to another part of India (which just as a curiosity, is one of the most beautiful countries I've visited until now)

Probably one of the best activities I've ever had was celebrating christmas with some foundations of little kids with short economical resources which came to my school. I didn't just had a great time but seeing those faces crying because of joy really touched my heart. Furthermore, once the kids received their gifts they couldn't believe it as they don't usually get anything for christmas because of their lack of financial resources. Their parents were so grateful! I'll never forget that day

• 1 month later...

I think that the best CAS activities are the ones that involve community work.

I went with a group of my school to an underdeveloped community 4 hours away from my home city. One of the activities consisted on visiting the houses and having lunch there. In that activity I was face to face with reality. Another activity I enjoyed was playing with the children of that community. We had a lot of fun :D