Cognitive LOA essay help

rlbnw13

I don't usually have trouble but for some reason, I just can't figure out how to begin the response to this prompt for the CogLOA:

'Discuss ethical considerations related to research at the Cognitive Level of Analysis'

Any help on how to structure my essay response would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

oh I wrote that essay and handed it in 2 days back!

First, begin really general, like

memory is a very important cognitive process, we use it everyday .... etc.

And particularly in psychology, there are loads of studies that have been carried out ...

However, as different methods are used for each study, there are particular ethical considerations, too.

and then if you want you could follow the following pattern:

ethical issue in method

--> study

--> plus and negative points

ethical issue in method

--> study

ethical issue in method

--> study

ethical issue in method

--> study

I think you get the gist, etc. :P

And in the end, just sum up what is good and what not, but then conclude with a generally good point :)

-hope i helped ;)

Some other points to consider are:

Genie was studied for her language acquisition. She was a feral child who suffered a lot because her parents isolated her. It has been argued that she shouldn't have been subjected to experimental testing when she probably required more nurturing things like love and care from a family to have hope of recovery.

Learned helplessness by Seligman. He shocked dogs that were trapped in a cage. Even when they could jump out of the cage afterwards, when the shock occurred, they made no attempt to escape. In a way the dogs learned to be helpless.

There are other cognitive experiments that used depressed individuals and memory asking them to recall painful memories. Another ethical concern.

Researching PTSD requires patients to recall and process painful memories to see what emotions they are experiencing.

I hope this gives you some food for thought to research and answer this question. It's a trick one because most cognitive experiments tend to be done in the lab with healthy individuals so you have to look for alternative sources.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually have trouble but for some reason, I just can't figure out how to begin the response to this prompt for the CogLOA:

'Discuss ethical considerations related to research at the Cognitive Level of Analysis'

Any help on how to structure my essay response would be greatly appreciated.

On your question 'Discuss ethical considerations related to research at the Cognitive Level of Analysis', you can begin your essay with the physiological factors affecting cognition. Here you can talk about memory and attention. You also need to mention the Schema theory where you will elaborate connection between behavior, perception and cognition. The essay can then talk about the other physiological factors such as brain damage, effect of sleep deprivation, effect of neuronal disorders like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disorders.

Your essay can then talk about the ethical aspects. This would also include cultural and social factors.

Michael Cole: culture and memory research' in Jamison, Levels of analysis in psychology is a good read that clearly explains the cultural effects on memory and cognition

Another good read would be Loftus' reconstructive memory study.

Your conclusion can talk about application and use of technology to assess cognitive changes.

I hope these sources will give you good reading material for your paper. Should you need more pointers, you may contact me.

Cheers

Edited by Coursework Writer