Determining the solubility of ethanedioic (Oxalic) acid

timmotytimmoty

We are suppose to write design about it.

I have problem to formulate two contrasting methods.

It is required to write Lab design and suggests two contrasting methods (that is ones that are based on different physical/chemical principles and hence have different inherent errors in them) to measure the solubility at a specified temperature and write a brief outline of both methods.

It's my first time suppose to write a chemistry lab design, can anyone help?

We are suppose to write design about it.

I have problem to formulate two contrasting methods.

It is required to write Lab design and suggests two contrasting methods (that is ones that are based on different physical/chemical principles and hence have different inherent errors in them) to measure the solubility at a specified temperature and write a brief outline of both methods.

It's my first time suppose to write a chemistry lab design, can anyone help?

Oxalic acid is a solid whitish powder which forms a colourless solution. Thus your experiment can be based around dissolving the powder untill the saturation point is reached. Saturation is the point at which the water can no longer dissolve any more oxalic acid; this is visually observable by the deposition of the undissolvable solid at the bottom of the beaker. In general, you will find that at higher the temperatures the water can dissolve more moles of oxalic acid. The beaker and the water at a particular temperature should first be weighed. The oxalic acid is added until saturation. The beaker is weighed again. The difference in mass = mass of oxalic acid added.

The second method could be to deduce the solubility from literature. (If you are asking for another method which requires observation, it will still be based around the saturation principle. E.g. instead of mesuring mass disolved at a particular temperature, you could measure the time water takes to dissolve a fixed mass of powder at a particular temperature).

N.B. Oxalic acid is toxic if ingested and a relatively strong acid, standard safety is needed.

Edited by Keel
  • Like 1