The snobbiest University?

Charizardon

I'm applying for Bachelor for Architecture in Canada, but the only schools that offer it are Mcgill and waterloo. I got a feeling that McGill would be full of snobby people since they say that its the top. Could someone validate this claim?

Waterloo also sounds nice, and Ive heard its full of mainland Chinese. The application for architecture is ridiculous compared to all of the others though. They require a video interview where you present 3 of your art works. And you also need a "precis" test where you cram an English work into one sentence. Why this is in here we'll never know. Should i apply?

I was also thinking U of Alberta and U of BC, which is closer and more of my friends go there, but their architecture isn't that good.

If it helps, i didn't predict my scores yet, but I got the legendary "7" in Physics SL.

Any ideas?

Edited by Charizardon

I've been hearing mixed reactions about the "snobbiness" at McGill, but you shouldn't let it bother you too much if you wish to go there. I have a couple buddies that are planning to go there, and have a few that are already there. From what I've heard, living there is pretty great... But you really shouldn't let it get to you. Just keep a positive attitude for it and bite.

I haven't personally done much research about McGill, but it is Canada's best university and I would definitely consider it if you're planning to live abroad.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned U of T. They have a whole architecture studies faculty!

Haha yeah, I was looking at Waterloo for a really long time, and yes, it is pretty hectic just getting in. But all they want is to see how creative and capable you are, and if you can really do the things they require in their program.

In the end, it all depends on you. It's a matter of where you set priorities in regards to living, social connections, costs, etc.

• Like 1

I suppose there may be snobby people who go to McGill, but really you can expect that there will be a few snobby people at every top-ranked university. You'll probably come across a few snobby people at Waterloo as well. It just depends on who you hang out with and who you meet along the way. If it's where you want to go, then go for it.

Like Cap'n Marth said, U of T is a good place to consider as well. It has a good reputation, is in a large city, and is full of mainland Chinese as well :P

I don't know why Waterloo asks for all that stuff either :/ However, I would just apply, put your best effort forward, and see what happens. You'll never know unless you try. If worst comes to worst and you get rejected, at least you know that you tried. Plus you'll have more options if you change your mind later about which school you want to go to.

• Like 1