The Great Gatsby

iheartib1

In our IB World Literature 2 class we are reading the Great Gatsby. For those of you who are reading the novel as well I figured this forum would be a great way to vent and share our thoughts of the book. Last class we were told to analyze the shirts scene, where Daisy grabs a hold of Gatsby's shirt and mentions how beautiful and bright the colors are.

What is your opinion of the book? Any specific details of the book you would like to share with us?

hmm well, i'm done with great gatsby as it was one of the works to study and i loved but too bad i didn't get it for my IOC >.< anywho, it's a great book and i loved it. But i hated the end because of how no one came to his funeral except the owl guy. My favorite part is the 2nd chapter, the first page. There's a lot of symbolism in there. Like T.J. Ecklberg's eyes symbolizing god's eyes and how they watch over the decay of the 20's and the american dream. Also how the valley of ashes symbolizes the moral and social decay of the american dream and how it's ugliness is covered up by the eggs but the eggs are just as ugly as the valley of ashes. Who would've guessed that such a small thingy would mean a lot lol. Another thing that i like is how the theme of loneliness comes out. Gatsby is seen at the end of chapter one staring at the green dock light of daisy and he's alone thus echoing his loneliness. Also when he went over to Daisy's house and some guests were mockingly inviting him to go out with them and they just leave him, again leaving him alone. Then there was that time when Daisy killed Myrtle and Gatsby was watching over her when she went home thinking Tom might do something to her and he was alone at that time too.I think the shirt scene just shows Daisy's love for money? but i can't be sure or even probably her happiness towards the fact that Gatsby is finally there with her since she ended up crying. Again, i can't be too sure. There are so many aspects of the book that i like but i'll probably end up writing a whole essay on it :P I hope you enjoy the book XD

Thanks for sharing, Kim! We finally finished the novel in class today and watched a majority of the film. My favorite aspects of the book are yes like you said the metaphor of the eyes of T.J. Eckleberg and how the American Dream is ultimately unattainable. I don't like Daisy at all, she's careless, uncaring, and is completely obsessed with wealth and looking good. Nick is a weird character, he's always in the background observing everyone else's actions and never really takes charge until the end when he FINALLY realizes what an uncaring and money driven person Daisy and Tom were. I mean, how messed up is it that they didn't even come to Gatsby's funeral?! She clearly didn't truly love him. I hate Tom.

I'm with you Brofessional. It's almost as if Gatsby's obsessed with Daisy--- he fails to understand that that time is behind him, he had his chance with her, she's moved on... he thinks he can rekindle this flame they once had and everything will be back to the way it was, but it can't. He's delusional!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing, Kim! We finally finished the novel in class today and watched a majority of the film. My favorite aspects of the book are yes like you said the metaphor of the eyes of T.J. Eckleberg and how the American Dream is ultimately unattainable. I don't like Daisy at all, she's careless, uncaring, and is completely obsessed with wealth and looking good. Nick is a weird character, he's always in the background observing everyone else's actions and never really takes charge until the end when he FINALLY realizes what an uncaring and money driven person Daisy and Tom were. I mean, how messed up is it that they didn't even come to Gatsby's funeral?! She clearly didn't truly love him. I hate Tom.

I totally agree with you.Tom only takes action towards the end and in a sense with his life as well. He even pushed Baker away at the end. I never really liked Jordan Baker myself. I really hated what Daisy and Tom did, especially Daisy. I guess it was when both of them didn't come for his funeral that i realised i despised them. A person who didn't even know Gatsby that well came but they didn't. Very horrific. The movie was okay for me, i didn't like the fact that they changed bits (like any other movie derived from a book) cause i thought i'd watch the movie and not read the book :P but at the end, i enjoyed reading it ^^