Mathematics HL Paper 1

saunders is god

I personally find May papers to be much easier than the Nov papers...don't know why..

The boat question....It looks so easy at first..but when u start doing it...the sanity just disappears....

anyway...I got t=0 for that boat question, which is quite reasonable, thinking that the distance between the two was 20 m at t=0.

but when t=1, the distance would be the same...

but the problem is..I didn't consider any value of t smaller than 1 but greater than 0...so...don't know if I got it right or now...

that 'justify your anwser' gave me the courage to put 0 for the first bit :)

i half got the stupid boat question. the vectors question, i had done a question on a past paper that was literallly identical, so i got the vectors one. I think i did well for paper 1, but I still found it really hard. i couldnt do the last question, or induction one. I thought the paper was easier than may 2011 but i hope the grade boundaries will still be low

i half got the stupid boat question. the vectors question, i had done a question on a past paper that was literallly identical, so i got the vectors one. I think i did well for paper 1, but I still found it really hard. i couldnt do the last question, or induction one. I thought the paper was easier than may 2011 but i hope the grade boundaries will still be low

really? how did u go about solving the boat question?

I just let x=the time they meet, and set up bunch of equation...and then tried to solve it, turned out to be 0, and for the second part, I got some value so I said they can see each other...I don't know...

Erm...the induction one, I was really happy to see that question because there was a question like that, almost identical in the past papers...I think it's 2009 or 2010 May paper 1, but not sure...

U just need to solve for P(k)', then just factorize it to get the conjecture for (k+1)

I thought it wasn't too bad...Could have been a lot worse.

To solve the boats question I used phythagorus for the distance, then found the derivative equal to zero, for t=1/5 (12mins).

The parts iii and iv of the vectors question in section b stumped me completely.

Also, for the very last question, did anyone else get really odd values the quadratic?

Hopefully it was enough! Praying for a 7!!

Edited by United4Life

For the boat one I also used pythag and calc but I got 2/5 = 12:24pm no idea if that's right tho

Yep it is.... I just realized I expanded (20-40t)^2 wrongly as 1600t^2 -800t (instead of -1600t) + 400

:(

Im sure u mustve gotten all of the working marks cause u did the right working :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...