Air Resistance - Parachute Experiment

Procrastination

Hey people,

Can anybody help me by determining a factor that has certain incidence in the falling time of a parachute taking into account air resistance? My teacher gave me some restrictions so I cant vary the area of the parachute, the mass that is tied up to it or the suspension lines, any ideas? Help will be appreciated, if the independent variable can be original, it would be better. Thank you beforehand :)

Hey people,

Can anybody help me by determining a factor that has certain incidence in the falling time of a parachute taking into account air resistance? My teacher gave me some restrictions so I cant vary the area of the parachute, the mass that is tied up to it or the suspension lines, any ideas? Help will be appreciated, if the independent variable can be original, it would be better. Thank you beforehand :)

Maybe if you take the mass, and you throw it at an angle... but how would you measure the angle? :P

"I threw it at some random angle. I don't really know what the angle was, but... yeah."

Or, alternatively, throw it against/with the wind.

• 1 month later...

I finished this lab report like 1 month ago, I just feel like clarifying some things.

"I threw it at some random angle. I don't really know what the angle was, but... yeah."
That'd would have been so funny but I'd have probably end up receiving an expulsion from the IB. My independent variable was the shape of the parachute and damn mathematical procedures I used to keep the area constant. It was so difficult to vary this taking into account that restriction, but I made it! Thank you trigonometry :) After my teacher received it she told me I'll probably receive a 7 in this lab report. :)
  • Like 1