HL piece count clarification

!ndigo

So right now I am in Visual Arts HL Y2. Last year our teacher had us do about 7 "guided" assignments where he gave us a general topic or source of inspiration, the medium we were required to work with and occasionally the style it was to be done in (impressionism, surrealism etc). This year we are finally allowed to develop a concentration and begin work on it.

I know that total I will need 12-18 pieces (paintings in my case) but I am unclear if they all need to be a part of my concentration or if I am supposed to use the guided assignments as well? I feel like the guided assignments I have done really don't fit very well with my concentration and I am wondering if this will be a problem when the examiner comes?

Thanks!

Most of your pieces should relate to your theme; however, it's OK to have a few that are slightly different from your theme. My art teacher told us that you can bring an extra artwork or two to discuss with the examiner outside of the main artworks in the exhibition and use it to discuss other points in your artwork. You should see if you can come up with a concentration that will allow you to use some of the pieces you did last year to minimize the amount you need to make this year. And don't limit yourself to just painting! Experiment and use a variety of media! You'll get better marks that way, even if it doesn't turn out exactly as you had planned. :)