What do you think about my EE topic?

Prowess

Hey forum,

It was great to have seen so many replies on my last post, especially from the mods. Who would have known, IBS has a bunch of philosophically intrigued people!

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could share any opinions on my Extended Essay topic, in English.

Topic: What is the role/significance of drugs in Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World and _______ ( a non cliche novel).

My teachers have told me that they really like the topic, but they say that I can either take a literature view on the topic (which I hope to do) or a sociopolitical type-thing.

What do you guys think; any ideas, methods of going about this?

Stay awesome!

Forumly © love,

Nick

PS. That's officially my word now.

• 2 weeks later...

well, we've started talking about BNW just today, but if i were you i think i'd rather take a sociopolitical view. i think there is much more to write about and it will make your essay more interesting :D

i guess you could mention different countires' policies and ways they justify their decisions on allowing/prohibiting drugs, or mention people's opinions about it?

well, these are just my ideas ;)

Try focusing it. The significance of drugs ... doing what?

So you need to mention significance of drugs are important in... something. Because that is definitely too broad, and you could write too much for that.

Not such a great EE person myself, my english EE isn't doing that great ...

I think your topic as it sits right now could be refined. Do you think you could change it slightly to make it a comparison/contrast of your two novels? It would be easier to formulate an argument that way, rather than just "Drugs in Brave New World are used for control and here are some passages where it shows that; drugs in ______ are used for _________ and here are passages that show that. Drugs are important to both novels. The end."

By the way, although I'm not doing an English EE nor am I the best literature student, I was under the assumption you were to focus on the literature and not the social-political aspects of society.

By the way, although I'm not doing an English EE nor am I the best literature student, I was under the assumption you were to focus on the literature and not the social-political aspects of society.

^^ Exactly this. If you do an EE in English Literature, you write about Literature.

Socio-political aspects of society may be extremely interesting, but they will earn you noooo marks.

I think your topic as it sits right now could be refined. Do you think you could change it slightly to make it a comparison/contrast of your two novels? It would be easier to formulate an argument that way, rather than just "Drugs in Brave New World are used for control and here are some passages where it shows that; drugs in ______ are used for _________ and here are passages that show that. Drugs are important to both novels. The end."

Great answer. Could you kindly suggest an idea/something you would do to contrast the two novels and still focus on drugs/alcohol? I'm taking in as many suggestions as possible now lol. I'm rather lost on how one can use literal analysis when comparing two themes; would it be enough to just compare the two themes?

Edited by Nick Habibi