how to approach visual arts

Bhagyashree

[/size

Hi guys,I have a serious question.How to work in IWB? I mean does it always have to relate to studio work? or we could work on our areas of progress? I know experience in art is really necessary.So if we want to experiment with different media on different theme? Our teacher had given two three assignments on which we had to work and reflect but I was not satisfied with my work cause I'm completely inexperienced I wanted to do some free works ? Can I do it in IWB? :bawling:

Of course you can work in your areas of progress. In fact it is a requirement for all visual arts students. As your exam is in may 2012, you must have developed several areas of interest/techniques in IB1. Your pieces of work must show originality and variety concerning materials and techniques used. A great piece of advice is that you explore an artist for several (not all) works, in which you adapt or imitate the artist's style. You should write several pages in your IWB about the artist and your opinion about its style. You should also devote several pages to relating the artist's style to your topic. I'm not saying that you should exactly transfer the artist's features to your work, but maybe take them as a starting point for a new artwork. As a former IB visual arts student I suggest that you write every week at least 3 or 4 pages on the IWB concerning your development as an artist, your personal feelings about your topic and exploring different art-stlyes of the world. Remember, IB wants originality, so if you wish to explore about a local artist of your homecountry, do it! IB examiners love that! Plus, they love that you relate your topic with current global events.

My answer to your other questions is YES DEFINATELY! You should try and experience with different media and techniques and evaluate your progress in the IWB. Critical evaluation is key to writing a successful IWB. My advice is TRY, TRY AND TRY. Remember: PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. Good luck!

• Like 1

For your IWB, that is like your personal diary to a certain extent. Thats what we were told to see it as. It doesn't have to ONLY be about your studio work but majority of it has to be made up of that. You can even write about your worries that you are having right now and just explore that.

Also, your IWB is supposed to have experimentation of techniques in it, it doesnt have to be perfect or pretty because you are just trying to figure out HOW to use a specific media and which technique will suit it and suit you.

Which option are you doing? Also at what level are you doing it? Since you feel you are not so strong in your IWB, I would say that option A is your best bet because more emphasis is put on your studio pieces, and thats where you can really show your techniques once you have reached an understanding of them. Visual arts is not an easy subject, theres ALOT of work.

Heres a LINK . Have a look at this website, it should help you alot:)

Good luck!

• Like 1