Individuals Tending to Savagery D:

BI Duck

Hi there

So I've been reading about this anti-technology terrorist group called "Individuals Tending to Savagery" (ITS), and got interested in polling science-area students to answer this question.

ITS's Motto: Down with the technology (principally nanotechnology) and those who practice it! D:

Facts: Two robotic professors were severely wounded by a house-made "disguised" bomb.

The brother of one of the robotic professors was sent a bomb too, but it was successfully intercepted :D

One genetist teacher was kidnapped and killed without a "congruent" reason.

All of them apparently by the same group of radicals, in the same month, in Mexico.

It is said also around my college that there are several threats to professors and students (from the science area) to stop teaching science, which is "killing our planet, and affecting the ecosystems of the world". "The sacrifice of few will save us all", they say; as we are little by little getting paranoid from receiving one of their mysterious "bomb" packages.

If you were immersed in this scenario, would it make you change your mind about your science career?

Why or why not?

Thank You :)

Interesting, and a tough choice....

If I was in this scenario, chances are, I'd still probably continue with my career. I mean, there are times in most careers when they go through a period of risk, and if I were to stop I'd probably struggle in terms of getting a new job and everything. Furthermore, I would like to believe that I'd be one of those people who dont get affected, even though theres every chance that I would be, simply because I like to think I'm careful.

However, the biggest reason is definitely because I would like my job too much to be threatened to quit because of it.

Savagery can exist with or without technology though. Think about how far back war goes.

I mean, just read "The Lord of the Flies" and it provides a rather interesting dimension to this question.

We can't ignore all the good technology has given us - advanced healthcare is just one example. Better standards of living is another.

We can't stop teaching science - I think we need more emphasis on environmental science thoughh.

And we're so far ahead on the road of science and discovery that its unrealistic to say we can just turn back. No, we must forge a way forward, but with more awareness of how we're destroying the planet. Global warming may be a theory, but seems pretty credible, you know?

We maybe should cut back on certain types of technology, but we need to promote science and do research on others, like renewable energy sources and safer nuclear power etc.

Its a tough question I think, with lots of different angles to perceive it with.