Asian Literature

ecieee

I'm Asian so I guess it's quite obvious that I like reading Asian Literature

but I have to admit that Japanese novels are subtle/slightly weird yet VERY VERY down to earth!

My Favourite author is Haruki Murakami (Murakami Haruki for me because I'm Asian).

I also love reading Korean novels (yep I'm Korean)! It's a shame that we can't find translated ones here because they are totally worth a read.

But I guess translating Korean in English wouldn't capture the sentiment in it at the first place.

Asian Literature includes Indonesian Literature, too, right? :)

I don't like reading in the first place so I can't say that I love Indonesian Literature, but I honestly like it, to some extent. half of the WL texts that I read are very long and unnecessarily descriptive, which I don't like, but I should say that some of the Indonesian authors are quite descriptive too, which I still don't like. however most of Indonesian texts are reasonably not that long. but again there are some long ones, I can't generalise.

I also like the study of literature, in Indonesian A1. the literary features are interesting to be analysed, and I like the themes addressed in Indonesian literary texts.

I don't have any favourite author, because I don't like reading in the first place, but I got to love Indonesian literature -- it's interesting. translating it into English is possible and wouldn't be too problematic, although my friends in English A1 who read an Indo text as their WL text said it's difficult to understand (but maybe it's due to the author's language too).

anyhow, I really like Indo lit. some of the popular books are definitely worth reading.

Asian Literature includes Indonesian Literature, too, right? :)

I don't like reading in the first place so I can't say that I love Indonesian Literature, but I honestly like it, to some extent. half of the WL texts that I read are very long and unnecessarily descriptive, which I don't like, but I should say that some of the Indonesian authors are quite descriptive too, which I still don't like. however most of Indonesian texts are reasonably not that long. but again there are some long ones, I can't generalise.

I also like the study of literature, in Indonesian A1. the literary features are interesting to be analysed, and I like the themes addressed in Indonesian literary texts.

I don't have any favourite author, because I don't like reading in the first place, but I got to love Indonesian literature -- it's interesting. translating it into English is possible and wouldn't be too problematic, although my friends in English A1 who read an Indo text as their WL text said it's difficult to understand (but maybe it's due to the author's language too).

anyhow, I really like Indo lit. some of the popular books are definitely worth reading.

To be honest I have never read Indonesian literature but I would love to! I haven't really come across any so far (Australian book stores rarely have world literature :bawling: what a shame) but if I have time left over IB, I will definitely embark on a journey to world literature ! It's a shame that many our school completely disregards Asian culture. Our teachers always seem to like novels that explore the segregation of African Americans, Post colonialism dilemma, Oppression or mistreatment of females. I hardly ever hear any Asian texts being studied. I don't understand why Asian texts are largely ignored! They are very very rich in expression and mind-blowing to read.

Well, I'm Indian (mostly anyway), and we're Asians too. We have some amazing literature and its all quite descriptive really. Shashi Tharoor's The Great Indian Novel and R.K. Narayan's Malgudi Days were pretty epic IMHO.

I'll add those books to my read list (I hope I can find them here)! God knows I'm going to be busy this summer holidays~

btw I like bollywood movies - which is totally off-topic. :hypocrite:

I read Piercing by Ryu Murakami, a Japanese novelist. It was my first, and so far only, experience with Asian Literature (Apart from Mao's Last Dancer :P). It was amazing! I love that book. It's very creepy and sort of a horror story, but very interesting, and worth the read ^_^

I read Piercing by Ryu Murakami, a Japanese novelist. It was my first, and so far only, experience with Asian Literature (Apart from Mao's Last Dancer :P). It was amazing! I love that book. It's very creepy and sort of a horror story, but very interesting, and worth the read ^_^

Murakami Ryu (Ryu Murakami) is really famous in many Asian countries! I have not read Piercing but I have read a few of his books including Ectasy and Almost transparent as blue. They were good! Ryu has his own dreamy/slightly weird/exotic style. Much of Japanese Literature is like that though. Murakami Haruki's 1Q84 and Norwegian Wood also has that sense of weirdness that I like.

Ekuni Kaori's (Kaori Ekuni) Twinkle twinkle and Between calm and passion is absolutely gorgeous.

Please look after mom by Kyung-Sook Shin is one of the very few korean novels translated in to English. It is absolutely nostalgic/sad/humbling.

• Like 1