How does CAS work now?

Tux

My school co-ordinator has not explained thoroughly what exactly is required now to satisfy the CAS component. From what I understand, there used to be a 150 hours requirement that all candidates had to complete, however this had been changed a few sessions back. Can somebody tell me what exactly has to be fulfilled to complete CAS?

I know that before, the requirement was to complete 150 hours of C-A-S... but now, it has changed around because IBO realized that many IB students were being "smart" about things, and were finishing their 150 hours within their first year of IB. They changed it up a bit, so that now -- you still have to complete 150 hours of CAS, but through an average of 3-4 hours of C-A-S on a weekly basis. This is so that it can better keep you a "balanced IB student", and always be working on CAS.

That's pretty much how I've understood it. I hope this helps!!! :)

Edited by egr12resa

From what I gather the hour counting inst as important any more. You should be aiming to meet the 8 learning outcomes over the course of the two years. This means you should regularly be doing CAS and have a project which spans a large period of this time. You need to have some balance between the three areas of CAS.

Increased awareness of your strengths and areas for growth

Undertaking new challenges

Planned and initiated activities

Working collaboratively with others

Show perseverance and commitment

Engaged with issues of global importance

Consider ethical implications

Develop new skills