I'm stuck with math HL

Hyunqul

Hello,

This year I'll be in IB 2 . Last year , I started my IB at the seconde semester , I was studying a differnet curriculum at the first semester.

So I missed approximately the first the first 9 units .... and I wasn't concentrating much at the next three units I attended .

I want to recap what I have missed , and I'm asking you for a method I should follow to survive (I'm a well performing student).

Thank you.

Edited by Hyunqul

• 2 weeks later...

First thing ARE YOU MAD? taking maths HL and skip 6 units and not concentrating how you think you will survive

though I think its summer now and I believe you should go through the basics in the book and try to do the questions in the end of each chapter. Do them and do the working out and leave the working out with you and check them from while to another until they are stuck into your head. And if you find something difficult leave it for later for the teacher to help you or anybody who may know the answer. Every other IB subject is easy, you need almost 70% of your study time to be for Maths and 30% for others... The basic fundamental to achieve good grades in Mathematics is to continue practising... Practice everyday. because if you didn't go back to it. You will forget the methods of solving the questions

GOOD LUCK !!!

• Like 1

I think you can do it, mainly because the (core) calculus that IB requires you to know is not that hard to self-teach. I pretty much taught myself all of calculus this summer, just have to do differential equations then I'm finished, so I'm sure you could too. Honestly, the hardest questions IB asks you are usually part of certain topics that they can ask "weird" questions about. From all the papers I've looked at, it seems you should know functions, trig, and complex numbers inside out because they can ask some weird questions on those. Vectors is a little more straighforward, so is prob and stats, and for integral calculus you usually just have to straight up calculate integrals. Differential calculus and differential equations can have some twists, especially with related rates, and the word problems with diffeqs can be tricky too.

Basically, if you missed calculus, revise it now, if you haven't had calculus, try to learn it now. That should take some pressure off you this year so you can concentrate on the harder topics.