Using the Cosine Rule

Guest kenshi64

Guest kenshi64

When I say static I mean the same part of the triangle? since the triangles are upside down and tilted and oriented in a number of different ways, its tought to remember which side was A or B or C if the proportions have changed, so do we strcily identify a certain side as an alphabet?

240px-Triangle-with-an-unknown-angle-or-side.svg.png

In this Image you can see what's marked as A,B,C what if I were to change those, when I was given a textual sum and I didn't know how it looked, would I be wrong ? or is safe to use the formula anyhow, unlike Pythagoras where subtraction can occur too.

Thanks for your patience, it has been a confusing doubt right?

Edited by Keel
Error in image URL

When I say static I mean the same part of the triangle? since the triangles are upside down and tilted and oriented in a number of different ways, its tought to remember which side was A or B or C if the proportions have changed, so do we strcily identify a certain side as an alphabet?

In this Image you can see what's marked as A,B,C what if I were to change those, when I was given a textual sum and I didn't know how it looked, would I be wrong ? or is safe to use the formula anyhow, unlike Pythagoras where subtraction can occur too.

I don't think the letters matter; they can be rearranged without causing any error.

c2=a2 + b2 - 2.a.b.cos C

If you wanted to find out what a2 was you could treat cos A as cos C and you would get the correct answer. Thus you dont really need to know what the triangle looks like to use the rule. Just remember that each small letter is the side opposite to the angle capital letter.

• Like 1

Guest kenshi64

I don't think the letters matter; they can be rearranged without causing any error.

c2=a2 + b2 - 2.a.b.cos C

If you wanted to find out what a2 was you could treat cos A as cos C and you would get the correct answer. Thus you dont really need to know what the triangle looks like to use the rule. Just remember that each small letter is the side opposite to the angle capital letter.

Dankeschön et Merci Beaucoup that solves it.:)