Retakes - November or May?

Hi again!

I bumped into a ex-classmate yesterday who said that our IB coordinator doesnt arrange retakes at his school in November. Only May.

Do you know if it is possible to do retakes in November 2011 at another IB school, perhaps in another country (in case no swedish IB schools do it either)??

VERY grateful for reply!!! :)

Ok thats great! Yes I was surprised by that as well!

Do you know when the deadline for signing up for the retakes is? And WHERE to sign up (although I guess that depends on the school/ country I do it in...)?

Do you know of any specific schools, in a country nearby Sweden, that does do retakes in November? :P

Thanks you so much!:)

I'm sure there must be millions of schools which accept retakes in november, your school is just a special case. My school registers retake candidates as soon as they get their IB results. They might give a one or two week span, but no more.

I just checked the handbook of procedures for the diploma programme, 2011 which is an official IB publication, and this is what I got:

A5.4.1 Up to the first registration deadline

The first registration deadline is 15 November/15 May, six months before the examinations. Therefore coordinators must enter candidate registration details on IBIS for the May 2011 session by 15 November 2010, and for the November 2011 session by 15 May 2011 to incur the lowest fees.

A5.4.2 Between the first and second registration deadline

The second registration deadline is 15 January/15 July, three and a half months before the written examinations. Between the first and second registration deadlines there is a fee for changes to existing subject details and a higher fee for registering new candidates.

A5.4.3 Between the second and final registration deadline

The final registration deadline is 15 April/15 October, about two weeks before the written examinations. However, a change to candidate registrations will only be accepted between the second and final registration deadline if:

the change does not result in a registration status code, and/or

a component has not been submitted for assessment (for example, extended essay, language A1 world literature, language A2 written tasks) in the subject concerned.

Where a change of subject or level affects the mark(s) for internal assessment and/or the predicted grade, it will be necessary to inform IB Cardiff of the new mark and/or grade using the email option Registration changes under Contact us on IBIS. In view of such changes and how they may affect the moderation of marks for internal assessment the IB may not accept a registration change after the second registration deadline. Significantly higher fees will be charged during this period for changes that are accepted.

All changes to existing registrations and the addition of new candidates made on IBIS between the second and final registration deadline will result in an automatic email being sent to IB Cardiff to approve the changes. IB Cardiff will then send an email to the coordinator to confirm whether the changes have been approved and made.