Inquiry about Group 4 Internal Assessments

Grassroot

I am currently an upcoming senior. I take physics and chemistry both at higher level. I am planning to finish all my IAs in the summer. I wonder how many lab reports do we have to do for any group 4 subjects . i.e. How many D, DCP and CE do we have to do respectively to fulfill IB requirments?

2 D, 2 DCP, 2 CE. are you doing a self study? because I have this impression that teachers are the one who organise your group 4 IAs... so they set the tasks, you conduct the experiments and you write the lab reports (IAs). so I don't think you can do it during summer at home :S it's up to your teachers when they want to give you IAs and what experiments they want you to conduct and how many ones!

• Like 1

2 D, 2 DCP, 2 CE. are you doing a self study? because I have this impression that teachers are the one who organise your group 4 IAs... so they set the tasks, you conduct the experiments and you write the lab reports (IAs). so I don't think you can do it during summer at home :S it's up to your teachers when they want to give you IAs and what experiments they want you to conduct and how many ones!

So... to my understanding... The minimum number of lab reports that I do will be 2. Each contains D, DCP and CE. Our teacher is really "experienced" that he does not even know anything about internal assessment. Even though our school is going to have new teachers next time but I think it will be safe for me to write lab reports for IA just in case the upcoming teachers are 'experts'

do you yourself even know about the IA, then???

I honestly don't think you can do that i.e. doing your IA by yourself during the break. just trust me, okay. I understand that you want to work hard and finish things early, etc, but this is just not...feasible. I'm not worrying about your capabilities or skills or whatnot, but I'm worrying whether it can be considered as a formal IA.

I'm just going to tell you the general things that you need to know then:

your teacher is the one who decides the number of IAs you're going to do. they might do hundreds of IAs and make you pick the best ones. in one IA, there can be one/two/three aspect(s) that is/are assessed. your teacher may ask you to only design an experiment but not conduct it hence only Design is assessed; your teacher may design an experiment and make you conduct it in the school lab and then you write a complete lab report but only DCP and CE are assessed; or your teacher may ask you to design and conduct an experiment, collect data and then write a complete lab report, and all three aspects will be assessed. hence, the number of IAs that you need to do is not necessarily two.

next, your lab report cannot just be bull****. you can't make up the data and/or the observation. you need to really conduct the experiment for DCP and CE! I know you might have your own laboratory or you could rent one and conduct your experiments there; however... there are these two criteria apart from Design, DCP, CE namely Manipulative Skills and Personal Skills (or something, not sure, I'll have to check) which are 2 marks each. these are assessed by your teacher from the way you conduct all your experiments throughout the two years. for example, the way you read your apparatus, or whether you wash your apparatus first, or if you burn your reactants instead of just heating them, etc etc.....

and I don't think you will know what kind of experiment to conduct in terms of the level of difficulty so it's all down to your teacher.

so, you cannot do the DCP and CE labs on your own because your teacher is going to set the task/experiment! even for design, you still might not be allowed to do it on your own, because your teacher is going to set the topic for your design IA (or at least at my school, this is the case) e.g. on redox, on acids&bases, on energetics... so you wouldn't know! my teacher sometimes sets a broad topic, sometimes very narrow; so you really cannot do it on your own!

if you are not convinced enough, please tell us why you want to do your IAs now and I'll try to persuade you even more. in case if you want to do an IA on your summer break, I'm pretty sure you can do your group 3 IA or Math IA (although you will have to guess which task you'll be doing) or it would be a wiser choice to work on TOK or EE or CAS.

I honestly don't think you can do that i.e. doing your IA by yourself during the break. just trust me, okay. I understand that you want to work hard and finish things early, etc, but this is just not...feasible. I'm not worrying about your capabilities or skills or whatnot, but I'm worrying whether it can be considered as a formal IA.

your teacher is the one who decides the number of IAs you're going to do. they might do hundreds of IAs and make you pick the best ones. in one IA, there can be one/two/three aspect(s) that is/are assessed. your teacher may ask you to only design an experiment but not conduct it hence only Design is assessed; your teacher may design an experiment and make you conduct it in the school lab and then you write a complete lab report but only DCP and CE are assessed; or your teacher may ask you to design and conduct an experiment, collect data and then write a complete lab report, and all three aspects will be assessed. hence, the number of IAs that you need to do is not necessarily two.

next, your lab report cannot just be bull****. you can't make up the data and/or the observation. you need to really conduct the experiment for DCP and CE! I know you might have your own laboratory or you could rent one and conduct your experiments there; however... there are these two criteria apart from Design, DCP, CE namely Manipulative Skills and Personal Skills (or something, not sure, I'll have to check) which are 2 marks each. these are assessed by your teacher from the way you conduct all your experiments throughout the two years. for example, the way you read your apparatus, or whether you wash your apparatus first, or if you burn your reactants instead of just heating them, etc etc.....

and I don't think you will know what kind of experiment to conduct in terms of the level of difficulty so it's all down to your teacher.

so, you cannot do the DCP and CE labs on your own because your teacher is going to set the task/experiment! even for design, you still might not be allowed to do it on your own, because your teacher is going to set the topic for your design IA (or at least at my school, this is the case) e.g. on redox, on acids&bases, on energetics... so you wouldn't know! my teacher sometimes sets a broad topic, sometimes very narrow; so you really cannot do it on your own!

if you are not convinced enough, please tell us why you want to do your IAs now and I'll try to persuade you even more. in case if you want to do an IA on your summer break, I'm pretty sure you can do your group 3 IA or Math IA (although you will have to guess which task you'll be doing) or it would be a wiser choice to work on TOK or EE or CAS.

Well first of all thanks for the advice for the internal assessment. Honestly I was never instructed about the IA at all from my school. And also I have finished all the other things except group 4 IAs. Yes just like you have said teachers play important roles in term of IA. Last year our teacher did not even know about internal assessment. Currently we do not have a chemistry teacher, and it is not likely for us to have one. Moreover I am not afraid but ashamed to say that so far no one from our school got a score above 3 in experimental science. If you were an upcoming senior, would you be happy to take a 2 or 3 in 2 of your subjects?

I am just in great panic. Obviously IB is heavily depended on teachers. But for us there is just no teacher. It is not even about finishing the tasks early, it is just about survival and pass the diploma. I know it is offensive to criticize my teachers, but to be honest ....they are ruining us.

Well first of all thanks for the advice for the internal assessment. Honestly I was never instructed about the IA at all from my school. And also I have finished all the other things except group 4 IAs. Yes just like you have said teachers play important roles in term of IA. Last year our teacher did not even know about internal assessment. Currently we do not have a chemistry teacher, and it is not likely for us to have one. Moreover I am not afraid but ashamed to say that so far no one from our school got a score above 3 in experimental science. If you were an upcoming senior, would you be happy to take a 2 or 3 in 2 of your subjects?

I am just in great panic. Obviously IB is heavily depended on teachers. But for us there is just no teacher. It is not even about finishing the tasks early, it is just about survival and pass the diploma. I know it is offensive to criticize my teachers, but to be honest ....they are ruining us.

That's stupid. You should either complain to the IBC, or if he/she doesn't care - go directly to IBO.

That's stupid. You should either complain to the IBC, or if he/she doesn't care - go directly to IBO.

Tried.... and they do not really care....

Keep in mind that if they are completely wrong, they are still only worth about 24% of your final grade :) If you want to salvage your mark, by all means try to do good internals but study very hard for your final exams - they are worth a lot more percentage wise and if you do well, it will bring your grade up :)

Keep in mind that if they are completely wrong, they are still only worth about 24% of your final grade :) If you want to salvage your mark, by all means try to do good internals but study very hard for your final exams - they are worth a lot more percentage wise and if you do well, it will bring your grade up :)

I heard that a failing grade in internal assessment will affect the grade in external assessment. Is there true? Well definitely you are right, but still it will be more comfortable if I can get a better grade in IA...Thanks for the advice.

I heard that a failing grade in internal assessment will affect the grade in external assessment. Is there true? Well definitely you are right, but still it will be more comfortable if I can get a better grade in IA...Thanks for the advice.

No a failing grade will not affect overall grade. Only a failure to hand in the IA will.