Subject choices advice

Nick R

Hi all

I'm a bit of an all rounder excluding foreign languages. I'm keeping my options quite open and I was wondering if you consider these to be good choices.

HL Maths

HL Language and Literature

HL Economics

HL Physics

SL Design Technology

Ab Initio French

Thanks for the help guys :)

And what exactly is HL Language and Literature? Thats not a course.

It is a new course that will replace the old language A2 course, and exams for it start in 2013. There are now two options for A1 language: Literature or Language and Literature.

I would start with 4 HLs and drop down to 3 if you find it too difficult. At my school it is not possible to take 4 HLs due to scheduling problems, but it's not a bad idea if you are allowed to.

I didn't take HL economics but SL was not bad at all in terms of dificulty. It can get boring sometimes but a lot of people in my class really liked it so that depends on you. Math and physics are apparently challenging at HL but many people at my school who take math, chemistry, and physics at HL seem to be managing it just fine. French depends on if you have any experience with the language before and how much effort you put into it.

Good luck =)

your options are TOO open I don't think you can handle it.

@God physics is necessary for engineering so Nick should NOT drop physics.

with that combination you can take: Pure Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, Law. or at least those are what I can think of. you seriously need to narrow it down. which majors do you think might be boring or do not interest you and you are not likely to study at uni?

if it's Law, drop your language to SL

if it's Econ, drop your Econ to SL

if it's the other three, drop your Physics to SL

it's as simple as that. keeping your options open for maybe one semester is a good idea, though. you may want to start the course with this combination but after a few months drop one of your HLs to SL (if your school allows this. please ask them.). in that case, you would already know which one subject that you are weakest at, that you can drop to SL. or maybe you would have done more research and found out which major you want to study at uni.

It depends on the career you want to go for.

If you want something related to Engineering/Sciences, i guess it's fine. I would add Chemistry although.

If you are interested in an arts-related career, you should drop Maths and Physics to SL and choose another HL.