Self teach Math HL

Ray

Hi, I'm currently in Math SL but find it very unstimulating or challenging. I want to self teach myself math HL(my exams are next year, May 2012), is this recommended? I looked at the Core syllabus and I know about 85% of it, and I know about 40% for the series and Differential equations Option. Also, are the internal assessments different by much in Math SL and math HL? Thanks.

you're a very interesting person...

I usually won't recommend it to any other person, but I think you are different. you should give it a try. maybe you'll find it easy.

the only thing I worry about is that you won't have time to finish the syllabus by yourself. you should have started months ago... but you could try, for the sake of having fun.

the SL IA is so much easier than HL IA. you cannot compare them... I swear I could finish one SL IA in one day with a good result. (I'm sure you can too) it's not really mathematical. but for my real HL IA, I really took the time and put in a lot of effort to finish it within the timeline.

all the best for you. I know you can do it. :gluck:

:o

Math HL is one of the hardest subjects there is, in terms of content, examinations and internal assessments.

I practically answered every one of my SL friend's questions on her IA in 30 minutes, I'm pretty sure I could've written the whole IA that day. The last math HL IA took me a complete total of 36 hours of work. And that was just writing it out.

If you're ready to practice math at least every other day for an hour at least then you could do it, HL Math isn't just about math, it's learning how to twist concepts and apply them in a variety of different situations. SL Math isn't very hard if you're good at math, but you can be great at math and still struggle greatly in HL math.

Good luck if you're planning on doing this.

considering that he's doing an EE in math he should be doing math HL as he needs sufficient amount of mathematical knowledge to do a math EE. and if he dares to do his EE in math, he must be capable of doing math HL, and is expected to do well at it.

so I wouldn't worry. I think you are in math SL just because the school doesn't offer HL, right?

Yeah, my school only offers Math SL. Does anyone know if there are universities/programs that require Math HL? So that I can pursuade my coordinator to allow me do this. Plus, what are the Internal assessment topic list for Math HL for 2012? I'll probably end up doing the IAs over the summer. Thanks!

For the self teach of math HL, does IB allow this, because I can't seem to find any information on it. My only question regarding this is that how would my Internal Assessments be marked? Would it be externally marked by an examiner or just marked by the school's math SL teacher? Thanks.

majors that require Math HL:

mathematics (obviously), computer science, all engineering.

majors that sometimes want you to take Math HL:

economics, law. maybe there are some more but I don't know.

List of IA tasks for Math HL:

there are also new tasks but we haven't been able to get them here.

AFAIK the IB allows every subject to be self taught. I think the IA's will be externally marked by an IB examiner. however I'm not sure. ask your IB coordinator.