Running?

ninety

During the few months before I started the IB course, I ran regularly around my area because I thought that I wasn't getting enough exercise. Now, I wouldn't consider myself athletic in any way, but I just thought that I wasn't getting the right balance.

After I started the IB course, I've barely had time for running. But last month, during the Easter holiday, I started running again, three times a week. I usually run for an hour before dinner. It keeps me healthy and it's just great stress relief. I run alone, unsupervised, so I haven't been recording my running sessions down for CAS hours.

So far my running hasn't had any significant effect on my grades, but I worry that if I continue it'll start affecting my grades... So I was wondering, are there any runners like myself who run for the sake of being healthy, and not for CAS? If so, what time of the day do you usually run and how often do you run? Do you have any thoughts/tips/advice?

With the steamy summer weather, I'm thinking of switching to running in the morning before school. Does anybody run in the morning?

Also, do you think that it's silly that I'm wasting time running on my own, when I could have joined a supervised activity and gotten Action points for my exercise? :S

Apologies if there's already been a similar thread - I couldn't find it.

Edited by ninety

I'm at a point in my CAS where I can pick and choose my activities. But if you are in lack of any action hours, then yes, do make your running part of CAS. And you will be able to write a lot in your reflection too! It's personal, it's balanced... it's what the IB wants.

Suggestion to make it count for CAS:

- Have a fixed time during the week and make it a habit. This can be one of your longer term goals

- Notify your parents/guardians of your schedule so that they can be your supervisor <-- Although IB prefers your supervisor to not be a family member, I don't see any other way if you are doing this at home.

- To better my second point, join a running club, or do it with a few more friends, and maybe your friends' parents' can be supervisors (but not their own kid).

One more: ask your CAS coordinator what he/she thinks of your proposal :) They won't bite!!! :D Good luck

Also, do you think that it's silly that I'm wasting time running on my own, when I could have joined a supervised activity and gotten Action points for my exercise? :S

Its not silly but why wouldnt you especially if you do it so often? :P

I have a hard time finding good ways to get CAS points (not necessarily Action) but any points you can get are good right?

I run occasionally - about once a week, but I ride MTB regularly and I couldn't imagine not doing it, even in the IB. I've never counted it for CAS (except for some competitions), but I don't think this time was wasted. You can join a kind of group, but not everybody likes running with others, and it fully depends on you.

Its not silly but why wouldnt you especially if you do it so often? :P

I have a hard time finding good ways to get CAS points (not necessarily Action) but any points you can get are good right?

You would want your hours to be spread evenly between C-A-S. But the main focus is to get your learning outcomes filled up as well. You need to make sure that's leveled out as well. Try your best to make balance everything (remember, IB is about BALANCE). Also, they want +150 hours for CAS, 50 hours dedicated to each C-A-S. They also want you to constantly be working on CAS regularly. My CAS coordinator wants me to do 3-4 hours of CAS each week on average. One tip to help be consistant, is to have a long term goal (e.g. your running). And since you may be in lack of Service and Creativity, so try to find something (volunteer work, someting with a fixed schedule) to help you get those hours! :D

There are PLENTY of IB students I know who enjoy running. I find this a strange question. Perhaps the people I know aren't working hard enough on academic studies. While I don't personally run very often just for the sake of going for a jog, I run for training purposes for my sport. Running is very beneficial and without good exercise throughout the DP program, you will be super smart, but not very fit. In reality, fitness will allow you to live a longer life. Studying - while this could be argued - will not improve your heart condition, your lungs and their ability to intake oxygen. So by all means, we have to finish CAS hours, but sometimes, it's worth it just to do something for the goodness of it and not for a purpose of filling hours to graduate.

I run in the morning- I wake up early whenever I have college or an exam. If it's too cold to run, I won't. Early morning spring/summer running is really nice, though.

Thanks for the tip! I got up at 5:30AM to run today and it was great :D

I'm at a point in my CAS where I can pick and choose my activities. But if you are in lack of any action hours, then yes, do make your running part of CAS. And you will be able to write a lot in your reflection too! It's personal, it's balanced... it's what the IB wants.

One more: ask your CAS coordinator what he/she thinks of your proposal :) They won't bite!!! :D Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll ask my tutor and see what happens!

Actually, I just realised today that I have enough Action points, so I don't really mind whether I get these extra points or not now. But I guess I don't want them to go to waste :P

There are PLENTY of IB students I know who enjoy running. I find this a strange question. Perhaps the people I know aren't working hard enough on academic studies.

Hmm... none of my friends are the really athletic type and at my school I don't know many people who run only for the sake of running and not for competitions :S

BTW Diaaaz, if you're having a hard time getting Service points, you could offer tutoring to students in lower years. That way, you'll be fulfilling the CAS requirement while helping yourself to review old material from different subjects :D

Edited by ninety

I used to run for an hour every day except for Thursdays at 10:30-11:30 pm during the IB. Mostly for my mental health! Most days I left the house at 7:30, got back at 7:30 in the evening and then all I wanted to do was eat and sleep. I liked to run late at night because my brain was at that stage of mush where you can just get on the treadmill or bike machine and let an hour or so pass without thinking about being tired etc. because you literally couldn't think! Brain death. Also nothing short of nuclear war can persuade me to wake up earlier in the mornings than I absolutely have to.

Running is awesome. I still run every day with a day off (recovery!! Get knee pains otherwise) and it's brilliant. Very de-stressing, which I think is more important than anything else. It clears your head, helps you sleep deeply and well and is generally a winner. It's beautiful in the evenings at this time of year if you run as the day is cooling off.

You do get quite fat calves though.

Also, I counted mine for CAS. If you can persuade your co-ordinator, go for it. I actually think I got my parents to sign mine off :blink: But the CAS lady liked me! Not sure that works out very often...

I think I am in the situation as you do.

Because CAS requires something that is new to you and challenging (not sure if it applies to you. So I couldn't put it as my CAS activity.

And after not running for 1 month, I get sick immediately. So I run again afterward.

Now I run once a week if I was free to do so.

Afternoon on Sunday.

Don't people who run in the morning will feel tired? and your day will be destroyed?

I can't stand running in the morning...