Chemistry SL Paper 1 & 2 TZ1

IB1011

Can't complain! The first question was time consuming, though. Keeping within the boxes was just pointless and annoying, I think! Well, so far, the only paper that I feel that actually went good!

^ I stayed in the boxes most of the time...some of them I had a lot of extra space lol...whoops.

Edited by jimbers

Can't complain! The first question was time consuming, though. Keeping within the boxes was just pointless and annoying, I think! Well, so far, the only paper that I feel that actually went good!

Yea the first question was time consuming.

Also was there such a rule that calculators were not allowed on paper one? We were not allowed calculators and there were like 4 questions that dealt with calculations! Came as a shock to me when the invigilator made us put away our calculators :(

Yup, no calculators on P1. I was expecting that but still found it kind of time consuming and silly, I didn't have time to check over my working so I think I might've made some stupid mistakes.

Overall I thought the exams were quite good though, I liked P2. I felt like I would have done equally well on all of the questions in Part B so I randomly picked the first one haha. I kind of wish I'd done the second one now, but oh well. It's done now :)

There was one question I guess on, something about whether enthalpy would increase or decrease if a liquid was vaporized beforehand, but I can't quite remember it now :D

On paper 1 do guys remember what you put for the sn1/sn2 intermediate/transition state question and why? I can't remember if it was tertiary or primary.

Sn1, tertiary, intermediate step (the carbocation)

Sn2, primary, transition state (the 5 bonded carbon)

I don't know the question, just hoped that answered it or at least hinted at it :P

Edited by Drake Glau

Thanks but I already knew how to match it ,problem is I thought the given alcohol was primary, my friend told me the formula given was C(CH3)OH :(. I put Sn2/transition and so I'm really hoping that wasn't it, the funny thing is everyone in my school mixed up the Sn1/2 transition/intermediate thing. Does anyone who took the test remember?

Calculators have never been used on a p1 for science =/ All the numbers (if you see what there actually testing you on) should work out into mental math really easily =/ Do you happen to remember one of the questions?

Well

My Chem teacher never told us! Came as a huge surprise. I was not prepared by my Chem teacher well and basically read out of the textbook to study cuz we had terrible notes. Oh well yea in the end I used like long division to solve questions and am pretty sure I was right.

Sounds like me, except I have physics tomorrow also. Fun times...almost over!

Haha my friends in physics were given their optional units like the week before and told to learn on their own!! The sciences teachers in my school are SO disorganized! At least I never have to be taught Chem by my clueless Chem teacher again lol

Hey what was that first question about the number of molecules or moles...something like that....i thought how can we find that without our calculators?

If it gave you moles then it was just times 6.02*10^23

So 5mol (for exmaple) would jut be 5(6.02*10^23) which is 30.1*10^23 or 3.01*10^24. Know how to do your powers and stuff if what they were testing for, and that you knew avagadro's number.

Edited by Drake Glau