My University Plan

ApoorvaM

Hi,

My University plan goes like this:

I go for my first year in Uk and then transfer to the US after. But what confuses me about this whole thing is that how does the credit transfer work? And how are my chances that I may get in even then? Because the only reason why I plan to go to the UK is because I am really scared to do SAT's.

Any advices on this? Because I am starting to give this plan a second thought because its risky.

PS: I am getting my diploma in 2012, so I'll be going to college next fall.

Well the UK doesn't have a credits-based system so I doubt you could 'transfer' credits over. Leaving a UK course after 1 year isn't known as transferring, it's dropping out of your degree. You wouldn't leave with any qualifications from the UK University. Most courses here are 3 or 4 years long.

I'm not sure that it's possible to go between them, it'd basically end up as failing to complete a course in the UK for a year, dropping out and then re-applying to do a new one in the US. They're different countries and different systems. If you're going to apply to go to University, apply straight to the US is my advice. I think you can take the SAT test many times, right? So just repeat it until you get a good score. Really, otherwise all you're doing is wasting a hell of a lot of money as an international student for no return.

The only version I can think of that works is that possibly some places like the American University of London or whatever it's called might run courses based on modular credits.

You essentially want to waste a year to avoid doing the SATs, but are not entirely conscious of the fact that you will still have to do them? Why don't you just spend a year studying for them? You could also combine this with an attempt to set a Guinness World Record, like most past SAT papers done or least logical gap year choice or something!

I've always wanted to set a Guinness World Record..

• Like 3

You MUST look at the universities' websites! ! !

Some universities don't accept transfer students, some have recently put it on hold (I think Harvard did so for a couple of years and now is accepting again) etc.

You would be very naive to only apply to one university. Apply to lots of universities so you have back ups. Don't forget MIT is incredibly hard to get into, and it's silly to assume you'll get in.

My advice, just apply directly to the US. As you're apparently going to have to do the SAT anyway, the only difference would be that you would gain an extra year and not waste a hell of a lot of money.

Also, keep in mind the universities that offer scholarships and financial aid for international students.

And the SATs really aren't that hard. Spend at least a couple of months preparing and practicing and you will probably find them quite easy. The math is VERY basic. If you're going to try and go to MIT, then why are you so scared?? Those who apply to MIT also need to take a subject test in math, preferably level 2 (hardest level, yet not tooooo hard) and a subject test in a science I think. The English on the SAT is also very simple. If you practice, you get to know what they're looking for very easily.

If you're going to apply to the UK, then you need to realise that if you don't get accepted for a transfer, you're stuck at that university to complete your degree unless of course you try again the next year. Is that what you want? That's why if you're so set on the US, you should apply to the US directly.