English A1 HL P1

Alex Hook

I barely spat out a conclusion in time. It was pretty poor but it was at least a conclusion. I always practiced poems so I planned to do the poem beforehand (bad, I know!) and the poem ended up being a great one about the Susquehanna (funny enough, my college next year is on the Susquehanna!). What did my fellow A1 HL students think of it?

I did the poem too!! I basically talked about life and death/self-revelation/mortality ...I found a lot of interesting elements to the poem but I didn't have time to write as much as I'd have liked to even though I got around to using up 8 answer sheets...How did you interpret it? I got to the end though and I was like, wait a minute, my interpretation could be wrong. And then I just freaked out :)

Edited by Ritakio

haha my whole thing was about individualism and how the snow is a reflection of themselves? idk, the more i think about it the more i think i wrote something completly wrong! But at least it doesnt matter too much if your interpretation is wrong, as long as you used evidence to support your view! :) hopefully paper 2 will be better

I did the prose (About the End of History), but I didn't really understand the last line, which is a bit of a bummer. What did anyone else say about it?

Also, how weird was the whole wife stealing child thing? Didn't quite know what to make of that.

Analysing the first half was alright, but it went a bit downhill towards the end, and I didn't even get to write a conclusion. Hopefully the first half will pull me through!

Did any one do TZ1 English A1 paper? I did the prose one, which is taken from the novel, The Sea by John Banville

I did that one too. I thought it was really dense.. full of great stuff to talk about. I didn't really understand the poem, haha.

I did the prose (About the End of History), but I didn't really understand the last line, which is a bit of a bummer. What did anyone else say about it?

Also, how weird was the whole wife stealing child thing? Didn't quite know what to make of that.

Analysing the first half was alright, but it went a bit downhill towards the end, and I didn't even get to write a conclusion. Hopefully the first half will pull me through!

i have to admit, when i read the prose i really liked it - the last line, something about how history is about to end? But i decided to do the poem only because i'm useless at writing prose commentary

• Like 1

Did any one do TZ1 English A1 paper? I did the prose one, which is taken from the novel, The Sea by John Banville

I did this one as well and compared to the ones we practiced with in class there were almost no literary terms. I focussed on character development, Banville's technique and imagery, etc.

I did that one too. I thought it was really dense.. full of great stuff to talk about. I didn't really understand the poem, haha.

What did you say about this prose?

I did this one as well and compared to the ones we practiced with in class there were almost no literary terms. I focussed on character development, Banville's technique and imagery, etc.

I am not prose analyzer, so hey what kind of imagery did you use?

Well, mainly I just stuck to what I called "intense imagery" or maybe it was violence imagery. This was mainly for the part when the father grabbed his wife and then the son in the water. Banville's word choice like "grasped", etc. Also with the violence in the father, there was repetition, and similes regarding that.

I did talk the same as you did, but I also analyze some settings to show how it affects to the characterization overall

What did you talk about?

Well, mainly I just stuck to what I called "intense imagery" or maybe it was violence imagery. This was mainly for the part when the father grabbed his wife and then the son in the water. Banville's word choice like "grasped", etc. Also with the violence in the father, there was repetition, and similes regarding that.

What did you talk about?

I did talk the same as you did, but I also analyze some settings to show how it affects to the characterization overall

What did you talk about?

Yeah, I talked about the setting as well, so sounds like we did mainly the same thing.

Did anyone else here write this paper??? If so, what did you discuss?

yea i did what you guys did... i'm surprised so many ppl choose the prose... my entire class pretty much choose the poem...

anyways, i talked about what you guys talked about... and to add on to that, i believe i talked a fair bit about emotion

What did you talk about?

Yeah, I talked about the setting as well, so sounds like we did mainly the same thing.

Did anyone else here write this paper??? If so, what did you discuss?

English was such a joy to write... compared to other exams *cough*maths*cough*.

I analyzed poem (the more popular option in my IB school) but I mostly interpreted as a work about man/nature rather than about his personal reflection. I did mention it briefly... I wonder what's the ~true interpretation of the poem though.