Portfolio Type II -- Soccer Balls

Hi

So, i have a maths IA that is due this wednesday, and my classmates and me are struggling to do this.

This is my second IA that i have done, and the one i did previously is incredibly difficult. I scored a 3 in it, and i am not planning for another one.

So i need help with this one really bad.

Firstly, the format of the IA is very confusing.

This is what i think i do,

1) Aim, what is the aim about and how i will be doing it.

2)The parameters and variables

3) Screen shots of the tables and graph i have made and showing how i went about doing it.

4)Showing how i had derived a formula using that

5) Showing it using another situation

6) How this can be improved.

So, it might seem that is it really simple, but it not a bit.

Here are the problems.

-What is the difference between parameter and variable. I google-ed it everywhere, but the explanation of it is quite complicated.

-When it says, use another situation, what does that exactly mean?

- And what is the meaning of model in terms of Maths IA.

I need help really bad, thanks for helping me so much:)

Please feel free to revise anything here.

If you need to know what the soccer balls are about, i can scan it and show it.

Merged

Hello, here it is:)

SCN_0026.pdf

Edited by Keel
Merged Posts - file appears in first post

yeah, scan and post it please? thank you!

Look into this problem:

you have a few sets of data (of x and y) and you are asked to model a function. maybe you want to model this kind of function:

y=a/(bx+c)

where x and y are variables; and a, b an c are parameters

Do you see the difference between parameter and variable?

Use another situation? Maybe after looking at the task paper I would get what it's asking.

Model means a function that you modelled (created) that fits the data.

If you could scan the task paper I would be very grateful. However I can't promise anything much for now. Good luck! :gluck:

This sounds horribly similar to the one I did - and that was made by my own Math teacher. So I have a feeling we go to the same school haha. Ummm I got 18/20 on mine - the little I can tell you is that you have to use a spreadsheet to generate your own data and after that find patterns in that data to create an algebraic model that can predict further values about how many soccer balls the department store should order in the future.

After that you change your situation - change for example the variable cost of ordering or the fixed cost of ordering (or both - that's what I did and it gets a tad complex). Then again, create a new model for this new situation and find the optimum order capacity and the cost.

Finally, make sure you dedicate at least 2-3 paragraph to talk about how valid your model is and if it can be applied in real-life. Explicitly state the limitations of your model and how it can be improved in the future. I can't emphasize this enough, half my class got less than 3/5 on Criteria D because of this problem.

Hi,

Thanks so much. Is your teacher Mr Love or Mr Hornell?

And, I have a spreadsheet with all the data, and i confirmed it with my teacher to make sure what i am doing is somewhat right. And i managed to also get a formula using that.

The problem what i am facing now is, the difference between the parameter and the variables. All my friends and online it says parameter is a function. Yes i get that, but my formula is very complicated.

Also, what is the model? It just say, using all the data make a model, is it the formula?

Thank you so much, i 'll keep it mind about the limitations and real life example:)

Hi,

Thanks so much. Is your teacher Mr Love or Mr Hornell?

And, I have a spreadsheet with all the data, and i confirmed it with my teacher to make sure what i am doing is somewhat right. And i managed to also get a formula using that.

The problem what i am facing now is, the difference between the parameter and the variables. All my friends and online it says parameter is a function. Yes i get that, but my formula is very complicated.

Also, what is the model? It just say, using all the data make a model, is it the formula?

Thank you so much, i 'll keep it mind about the limitations and real life example:)

Mr. Love - we only have 1 Higher Math Class in 12th grade.

To put it bluntly: parameters are the things that are always fixed, variables are always changing.

So in your case, the parameters would be the ordering cost per order and the carrying cost per order. Everything else is a variable which you should define using letters such as x, y etc.

Hmm your formula shouldn't be too complicated. Did you generate yourself algebraically or use technology? If it's the former it can't be too complex. The model is basically the formula which you adapt as you change your situation. The model should be presented algebraically as a formula and graphically on your GDC/on Excel.

OH!!

Its like controlled variables and dependent and independent variables in Physics or Chemistry IA but in this case the controlled variables is the parameter and dependent and independent variables are the variables .

Hahaha, oh did not know it was so simple. :)

Well i used technology, so i can get the marks for use of technology.

Thank you:)

And good luck for you IB exams:) It's tomorrow right?