The Pinocchio Paradox

ZiggyM

Pinocchio says: My nose grows now.

For me, this is completely mind-blowing. I am quite a logical thinker, and so I get myself wrapped up in circles. Because if he is telling the truth, his nose wouldn't grow but that would in turn mean that he was lying, which means his nose would grow and so he would be telling the truth, and on and on it goes.

Paradox? I think so.

Go! Discuss! Mind boggle! :blowup:

Or do you have any other good mindblowers? :)

There are so many paradoxes in existence. In science, you have Olbers paradox, which stated in 1826 and now explained by postulating a finite expanding universe, that the sky is dark at night although, as there are an infinite number of stars, it should be uniformly bright and the case of Schrödinger's cat which can be seen in Quantum mechanics.

Personally, I find them very intriguing.

Edited by nametaken

Yeah, paradoxes are pretty cool :D

The next statement is true. The prior statement is false.

Here's a cool question as well:

A prisoner is told by his judge on Friday, "If you are to be executed, it will be the morning of a day this coming week that you are not expecting your execution." the prisoner goes back to his cell and thinks about this. He realizes that if he lives until Thursday evening, he will be expecting his execution on Friday. So his execution cannot be Friday. If he lives until Wednesday evening, he will know that his execution must be on Thursday, so Thursday is out too. With this line of reasoning, the prisoner realizes that every day of the week is thus invalid, and waits happily in his cell for the week to pass. However, Wednesday morning, he is executed anyway.

Why was he executed?