Help picking Language course?

I'm choosing my second language class for when I start IB, and right now I'm almost done with my second year of German. However, I kind of want to switch to Spanish, since I've already learned to basics of German and I live in America so some knowledge of Spanish would be useful. But, I wanted to know; is an ab initio class harder than an SL class of a language you've already started? I have the option of taking Spanish 1 at summer school since I will have to take Econ anyway before starting IB because it's required to graduate. If I did do Spanish initio, would it be a good idea to do this? Or would it be unessicary? Or should I just stick with German?

no, just choose the language you want. I guess its spanish. If you are a starter you should go for spanish ab initio. But if you intend to go to spanish summer school you can take spanish B standard level then. Languages are not that hard, so you´re free to choose and you´ll be fine anyways :)

I think you seem to be good either way. I have to agree that taking Spanish would be beneficial to you. if you like learning new languages, yeah I suggest taking Spanish Ab Initio. or Spanish B SL if you could.

ask your IB Coordinator if you are allowed to switch subjects within the first X months of IB. if you are allowed to, it means you will have the option to switch to German B if you happen to not like Spanish Ab.

good luck!

you mean Spanish B? I am afraid it's not enough because the new syllabus requires you to read books in language B. my teacher said you have to read 3 works but not sure if it's SL or HL.

even I still need to look words up in the dictionary when I read English books, regardless of the fact that I've studied English for more than 10 years.

You shouldn't have to read much, if any, literature for SL... If your summer course is really strong, you might be able to do SL - otherwise, the ab initio can still be a challenging course and might be a better fit. At our school, ab initio students take Spanish I, do independent work during the summer, and then take Spanish III during their testing year. Our SL candidates all complete at least Spanish IV. Your coordinator would definitely be the person to talk to, though.

Buena suerte con todo,

Profe