Design Confusion

AaronBurr

My chemistry teacher gave us a "prompt" that provided a situation and gave a materials list and even told us what to test. She said this is our actual IA and is making us do it in class so that we do not "cheat". So basically, we were given 3 days to do the design portion of the lab in class. And she told us that we're not allowed to talk with anyone in class while doing it either. Is this the proper method for administering a Chemistry IA? Because I also have IB Biology and the teacher for that class actually assigned the IA as homework (which is how I think it should be).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Usually teachers request to do design IAs n the class so their will no cheating between the students or a over using of the internet. But for DCP and Evalution, teachers usually give it as a homework. The deadline varies from one teacher to another, for example in my chemistry classhe teacher give us 1 to 2 days for an IA. Hiowever in biology we take a week to 10 days for an IA.

• Like 1

I'm the same as inm, for Chemistry we get given it as homework whereas in Physics we are only allowed to do it in class (usually) and have to hand it in at the end of every period so he knows we havn't cheated. It just depends on your teacher and I think you'll find it's different around the world.

yes, it is a proper method for administering a Chem IA.

I would say that you are lucky! or luckier than me, at least.

my Chem teacher usually just tells us which chapter this design is about (e.g. redox, kinetics) at least one week before the D-day. then she will give us a prompt, a quite general one (e.g. voltaic cells, rate of rxn, rxn involving HCl). we have more or less 90 minutes to finish our design drafts. (we are asked to bring laptops and type in class, we cannot sit next to each other, we cannot read any textbook/note, the wifi is turned off. in other words, we really cannot cheat). after we finish, we need to copy this draft to our teacher's hard drive or flashdisk. we can then make a few minor changes at home (excluding variables and methods. we can only rephrase them in case if sth doesn't make sense) and add diagrams and explanation (the last bit is just my school thing) and submit the final draft the next week.

you are lucky that you get 3 days to finish it and your teacher gives a materials list and even tell you what to test.

I honestly don't think design labs should be done at home. it's unfair.

but DCP and CE labs should be done at home.