P3 Stats and Prob

Yiruna

Hey all, I'm one of the 2011 may exam takers! Anyways, I wanted to ask you all how to go about revision for the Stats and Probability option topic (paper 3 overall).

My issue is that I can manage paper 1 and paper 2 (despite my reluctance to use my calculator, usually what brings me down >_>) but when it comes to paper 3, I turn into a mess. I've been practicing stats questions (literally grinding) and I'm probably naturally bad at Stats and Prob in general but I just CAN'T get many questions in paper 3 right!! :(

Without time limit, it takes me an hour just to get through question 1.

So I'd really appreciate it if you all could give me any tips for paper 3, maybe some styles, how repetitive the questions are for each year, etc. I know it's one hour so one mark for each minute, and that's what I'm worried about.

Please help me! At this point I'm replying on my paper 1 to pull up my paper 3 grade :(

And yes, I have done past papers for the past 2-3 years, none of which I got higher than maybe 10/60. I wish we could have done Series and differntial for our option but our teacher said Stats was the easiest so we HAD to do it T_T

EDIT: I'm predicted a 5, so I need to somehow manage to get at least a 33+/60....

Edited by Yiruna

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am also one of the 2011 May exam takers.

For stats and prob, there are a few really common topics that almost always come up, they are:

1) t-test

2) chi square test

3) type one and type two error

Start with these, make sure you know it very well. These topics make up to around 40-50% of the whole paper and they are really repetitive.

Finally, make sure you practive with all the past papers you have.

O i almost forgot to ask. How was paper 1 today?

Moderator Notice: All exam discussion must take place in the 'Exam Discussion' Forum.

Edited by Keel
Exam Discussion

Stats is definitely easier. If you have TI-83/84, you can do all the T-tests, Z-tests and confidence intervals on the calculator. It makes life so much easier.

Type 1 / Type 2 errors are a bit more difficult to understand I thought because they are ever so slightly confusing. There's hardly any probability on the option paper.

Lastly, make sure you understand how to recognize all the different distributions. I found this book really useful when I did the option: http://mathspot.co.uk/productsmathspot/HLstatsoptbook_v1.pdf