IB and universities

moh'd

I heard that many universities accept IB students because they are IB students regardless of their final IB exam grades.. is that true? I'm speaking about favorable admission and not actually counting the credit. :)

I've never heard of that :blink: but I think it's not true.

so, you would not have any acceptance for a university until you get your IB grades? seriously ?!

You can have conditional offers based on your predicted grades. I think that some universities believe that the IB is a better course than another course, for example A-levels in the UK, although this varies greatly from country to country and region to region. I don't think that you could make a general statement like that....universities won't simply accept you because you're doing the IB. Because, at the end of the day, they have to make sure that their prospective students are good enough to actually study in their uni's. And in the case of someone who does the IB, and gets a low predicted grade, compared to a student who does another course, getting a higher grade/level, a uni would simply pick the better student with respects to grades/levels. Hence the competition. So, just because you're doing the IB, it doesn't allow you a 'free pass' into Uni. You need to show how good you are by getting the grades.

Edited by nametaken
  • Like 1

we do have our American system grading along with the IB such as quizzes, tests etc. So, if u have a high GPA from taking IB courses and there is lets say 5 months till the IB exams, you won't get an acceptance?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

US schools do not give conditional offers. They do, however, rescind acceptances if your academic performance drops significantly, which usually means failing classes. They may consider rescinding your acceptance if you applied as an IB Diploma student but did not get your diploma. As long as you get your diploma, it is extremely unlikely that they will care about the scores. The ability to rescind acceptances is rarely used, and serves more as a deterrent against slacking off entirely at the end of your senior year than it does as a tool that is actually used.